Is it OK to have 2 French climbing beans growing up one pole ?

• 5 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
As a new allotment holder :) I have been watching a few YouTube videos.

One gardener always sows 2 bean seeds in a pot and then just plants them next to a pole at the end of May

This sounds a good idea, but I thought I would ask in a forum, rather than relying on one person's idea.

Is it OK for runner beans too ?

Hampshire Hog

Probably depends on how close your poles are to one another.
I normally plant a bean seedling and also pop in a seed as well to provide some succession and guard against failures. You can obviously overdo things but if you have a good amount of moisture holding compost I don’t think you should have a problem.
Cheers HH
Keep digging

Mr Dog

I always do (and the same for runner beans). I space the poles 1ft apart in any one of a circle for a 6 pole wigwam, or in an 8 pole 2ft x 2ft square arrangement or in a double 'A' row with approx. 2' between the rows. All work very well, although now that I've built a more permanent support structure I will be using the double A row going forward.

My neighbours still trench and fill with waste over winter for their bean bed but I find that I get equally good  results from a generous sprinkling of chicken manure pellets around January time.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
One gardener always sows 2 bean seeds in a pot and then just plants them next to a pole at the end of May

I always do this as well.  Mine are in plot soil, sometimes over a bean trench, sometimes not, but always with a sprinkle of pelleted chicken manure.  Works just fine  :)

AnneB

I do the same.  This year I have wigwams but last year had a long row.  One seed sown on each side of each pole.  Works fine and makes best use of space.

Auntiemogs

I often put 3 small plants in together (planted in bottomless flower pot for added protection against slugs/snails), and they seem to be fine as long as they're fed and watered. 
I never thought about poking an extra seed in the extend the cropping time  ::), so thank you HH for that! Might try a 2 + 1 this year.  :)
AM
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

xx
French POLE Beans

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 21:08
by muntjac
xx
Recommendations for yellow French (pole) beans?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 07, 2022, 22:24
by mjg000
xx
French climbing beans

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 21:00
by bonfire
xx
FRENCH CLIMBING BEANS

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 20:12
by vegmandan

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 44 queries.