Titan Merry Tiller

• 5 Replies

mtmcndrw

Titan Merry Tiller
« on: May 17, 2020, 19:51 »
Hello,

I've been donated a Merry Tiller which unfortunately is a non-starter.

Not being mechanically gifted I have been scouring the internet and watching various YouTube videos in an attempt to gain information on how to move forward and get the machine running. As a lot of search results list this forum I thought I would approach and ask for some assistance and advice.

After scraping away the paint from the engine cowling I managed to get a model number 130202 0162-01 6708257 but I can only find a parts manual for a 130202 0162-99. Does this matter?

I've had no confirmation as to when the machine last ran. I don't even know if all the parts are there and that all wires/cables are connected to where they should go. So I've attached some pictures for those who are experienced in these machines to have a look.

The only technical thing I have done so far is remove the engine cowling and rotate the flywheel by hand. I held the spark plug lead to the engine block but didn't see any spark. With the spark plug removed and thumb over the hole I could feel the pressure build when rotating the flywheel. There was also plenty of suction and blowing noise going on while the flywheel was being rotated.

Any guidance or advice with respect to next steps in this journey would be really appreciated.

Also interested in any information on what the model number means. ie year of manufacture etc

Thanks and regards in advance for any help.

Matt

roto (1).jpg
roto (2).jpg
roto (3).jpg
roto (4).jpg
roto (5).jpg
roto (6).jpg
roto (7).jpg
roto (8).jpg
roto (9).jpg
roto (10).jpg
roto (14).jpg

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Titan Merry Tiller
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 23:08 »
Really silly question, but does it have fresh fuel in it? Petrol degrades over time and if it's old fuel it wont fire up.

mtmcndrw

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55 »
To be honest I just topped up the tank. There may have been some old fuel swilling around in the bottom.

But you've got me thinking about the fuel and what type should I be using.

Since these old engines predate unleaded.

Is it OK to use unleaded straight from the pump or are there additives that should be added prior to use.

mtmcndrw

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 08:34 »
Carried out some work on the allotment last night and mixed news.

After reading through previous posts regarding the Merry Tiller I carried out the following.

Removed the flywheel and removed rust from the circumference with some emery cloth.
Gained access to the points and cleaned with needle file. Didn't have feeler gauges but could see the points open and close when rotating the shaft at the drive end pulley.
Screwed in the needle valve all the way  then backed out 2 turns.
Put everything back together.

Engine started on first pull.

Adjusted engine revs using needle valve until it sounded OK to my inexperienced ears.

Then panic set in as unable to stop engine. The kill button wouldn't work. Had to disconnect wire at spark plug.

Got rotovator running again and in my excitement proceeded to rotovate the allotment.

After 15 minutes the engine slowed and died so topped up with fuel. After another 20 minutes the engine began to slow and died. The tank still looked half full. Was able to start the engine again but it would quickly slow down and stall.

So back to asking for pointers and advice.

mtmcndrw

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 21:14 »
Just back from the allotment.

Syphoned out the fuel from the tank.

I'm sure the unleaded petrol I put in my car isn't a muddy brown colour with sediment in the bottom of it.

The rotovator seemed to running a bit better so hopefully going in the right direction with this.

I'd be interested to know if any owners of the Briggs and Stratton 5HP Engines add anything to their fuel to help their engines along. I've heard of fuel stabilizers that prolong the lifespan of fuel. But are there any additives that will help clean out the carb and engine. ie a teaspoon of redex.

Thanks
roto (15).jpg
roto (16).jpg

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 21:24 »
I'm afraid the usual idiot has been at work, messing up the governor mechanism. It would be extremely difficult for someone to fix it who isn't used to how it should be. The stop button too is someone's own idea. With the correct governor set up, when you throttle back far enough, a link touches a brass strip, shorting the magneto to earth and stopping the engine. Any 130202 manual  will be close enough the Type designation is to do with slight differences, silencer, air filter etc. That model number starts with 67 the year of manufacture 08 for August. Check the plug nose colour, black and sooty indicates a rich mixture  or possibly a failing magneto, both faults can cause an engine to stop once warm.
Below is how the governor should link up.

Governor links2.jpg
R Tallentire

xx
Merry Tiller Titan

Started by DaveOH on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 09:00
by Cotonh
xx
merry tiller titan

Started by DaveOH on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 12:34
by DaveOH
xx
merry tiller titan

Started by snncrv on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 16:20
by arfer
xx
Merry Tiller Titan Problem

Started by davef65 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 16:22
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.