i'm going to see a rescue dog tomorrow

• 70 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
Re: i'm going to see a rescue dog tomorrow
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2012, 20:13 »
Sounds like you've got yourself the perfect pup.  Hes bound to suffer a bit of anxiety at this early stage and at least hes not being destructive with it.   :)

Thrift

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2012, 20:21 »
Poor Rusty, I didn't realise he had so many homes! He is bound to be anxious for a while; it's a fine line I think, between reassurance that they won't be abandoned and yet not allowing total dependence.

Bessie has been with us for 3 months now and is only just starting to feel really secure I think.

Agatha

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2012, 18:10 »
Poor love.  No wonder he's a bit unsettled.  I was Bonnie's 4th home in 2 weeks & she didn't stop shaking for the first week, but soon settled down.  I'm sure Rusty will too; he looks very sensible for such a young dog. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2012, 20:38 »
It's so heart breaking knowing that they have been in so many homes only to be moved on again.  And as you say you want to offer them all the love in the world but they need to learn independence as well!

We did have a scary moment on the common today... we met the cows  :unsure: he was very scared and pulled his lead from my mums hand and just flew.  Eventually his lead got caught in the gorse and he stopped.  But it was so scary... poor lad was just so scared of the cows.  Anyway, we walked him home on the lead as he was so scared still.  So we have some work to do getting used to big animals!!  

He is also booked in to start dog training classes from the 9th April... should be fun  :tongue2:

BUt all in all he is an absolute delight  :D  Not sure he will like me as much after this weekend as he is going to get microchipped....

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2012, 20:43 »
... the microchip is only a biggish injection really. I find they do like you less for a while after the other op......  :unsure:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2012, 21:29 »
He he well I spoke to the vet about that op (shush he will hear!) and they said as he is not showing any dominance/ mounting etc. to wait till he is a year old so he has a chance for his bone plates to fuse (something to do with testosterone! I think!).  So he can keep 'em till September!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2012, 21:55 »
We did have a scary moment on the common today... we met the cows  :unsure: he was very scared and pulled his lead from my mums hand and just flew.  Eventually his lead got caught in the gorse and he stopped.  But it was so scary... poor lad was just so scared of the cows.  Anyway, we walked him home on the lead as he was so scared still.  So we have some work to do getting used to big animals!!  

At least cows are reasonable things to be scared of.  Our Sheltie couldn't cope with hedgehogs!  ::) :lol:

Would break out of his collar and run home from the park; how he successfully crossed the main road without his Green Cross Code we'll never know...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2012, 23:00 »
our Dalmatian is scared of frogs and our dwarf hamsters lol yet she thinks she is a cow and would happily graze in a field with some  ::) a good bit of positive reinforcement will help with rustys fear of cows etc but make sure when you give him treats only do so when his body language is relaxed else you will be praising his fear   :)

Thrift

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2012, 08:00 »
but make sure when you give him treats only do so when his body language is relaxed else you will be praising his fear   :)

That's a very good point which we so often forget in our rush to console them.  :)

Agatha

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2012, 12:16 »
My old girl was terrified of sheep - bit embarrassing to have a border collie who is terrified of sheep  :unsure:.

Bonnie was petrified of EVERYTHING at first, but introducing her gradually with lots of treats overcame most problems really fast.  I would give her treats as we walked towards the scary thing (or as it came towards us), stopping when we got to the point where she started to look a bit anxious & soon found that the distance between us & the scary thing grew rapidly smaller.  It helps if they have a food treat they love & they only get it when coping well with the scary thing!  I also found it helpful to concentrate on one or two areas at a time - my first priority with her was for her to be ok around men & dog leads, then we moved on to sticks, water, tractors, cows, sheep, ironing boards and vacuum cleaners (also gave me a great excuse to give up housework for a while as 'it frightens the dog too much' :lol:)  We are still working on cars  ::)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2012, 12:48 »
My old girl was terrified of sheep - bit embarrassing to have a border collie who is terrified of sheep  :unsure:.

Bonnie was petrified of EVERYTHING at first, but introducing her gradually with lots of treats overcame most problems really fast.  I would give her treats as we walked towards the scary thing (or as it came towards us), stopping when we got to the point where she started to look a bit anxious & soon found that the distance between us & the scary thing grew rapidly smaller.  It helps if they have a food treat they love & they only get it when coping well with the scary thing!  I also found it helpful to concentrate on one or two areas at a time - my first priority with her was for her to be ok around men & dog leads, then we moved on to sticks, water, tractors, cows, sheep, ironing boards and vacuum cleaners (also gave me a great excuse to give up housework for a while as 'it frightens the dog too much' :lol:)  We are still working on cars  ::)

You should have concentrated on the cars more and left the housework until last!!   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Dog Rescue

Started by jamima on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 10:44
by jamima
clip
Blind Cat Rescue

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 23:41
by John
question
Puppy or rescue dog.

Started by Lardman on Pets without Feathers

61 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 14:03
by compostqueen
xx
Help needed with rescue kitten!!!

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 13:27
by maxyboo

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 38 queries.