• 20 Replies

BobE

Re: Wine madness
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 19:06 »
Snowy, can we have pics later. Please.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 19:07 »
Excellent.  Hygine is critical, same as in jam making, you can use baby bottle sterelisation tablets to get you going.  Boiling water at a push.  Rinse out the fermentaion bucked with boiling water to get it sterile to start with.  Get the brew up and running.  Good luck and enjoy it. :D :D
Just out of curiosity Bob, is it possible to pour the sterile solution out of a 5 gallon bin and leave it in a pressure barrel for a couple of weeks until the barrel is needed?  I really don't like pouring chemicals down the drain (so like to reuse at least the once) but don't want it to 'leech' into the plastic, causing a problem with fermentation. 
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

BobE

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 19:21 »
Excellent.  Hygine is critical, same as in jam making, you can use baby bottle sterelisation tablets to get you going.  Boiling water at a push.  Rinse out the fermentaion bucked with boiling water to get it sterile to start with.  Get the brew up and running.  Good luck and enjoy it. :D :D
Just out of curiosity Bob, is it possible to pour the sterile solution out of a 5 gallon bin and leave it in a pressure barrel for a couple of weeks until the barrel is needed?  I really don't like pouring chemicals down the drain (so like to reuse at least the once) but don't want it to 'leech' into the plastic, causing a problem with fermentation.

If its food grade or PET plastic then yes.  I keep a 4 pint milk bottle (plastic) with a prepared sterelizer mix in it.  It will keep for ages like that.  Just a shake when needed. 

Milton.. Ive just remembered,  That is safe for babies and can be kept until needed.  My wine kit supplier will chuck in a pot of steralising powder for orderes over a few quid.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 19:35 »
Thanks Bob. It will certainly save me having to lug it about.  :)  Excellent tip about the milk container solution too!

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 20:39 »
Are you sure about Milton? As I remember from my milk kitchen days you have to make fresh solution every 24 hours
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

BobE

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 20:46 »
I keep a made up soloution of brewing sterelising soloution.  The Milton was just me suggesting a quick fix for Snowy to get her started.  I assume she wouldn't have sterelisation stuff.  I do have a pack of Milton in the cupboard but I don't normally use it.  But if it can sterelise a baby bottle then it should work on brewing kit.  As for storage of it, Ive never looked.  When I said "Kept until needed" I keep it in its tabled form and only use it if I run out of the wine version.  (Its more expensive than the one my supplier sells anyway).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 20:48 by BobE »

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
More wine help please

Started by grinling on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 19:52
by grinling
xx
Very dry wine...

Started by ytyynycefn on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 16:23
by David.
xx
Wine from anything

Started by seadart on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post August 19, 2007, 23:07
by muntjac

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.