Wine madness

• 20 Replies

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
Wine madness
« on: August 04, 2013, 06:50 »
Right the Muntons kit is out the way...so this morning I've done....

Whitecurrant.

Cherry & Apple.

This was on offer at Tesco's yesterday, 2lts for £1.75....so I thought lets have a go.
In the DJ now...

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:56 by Capt Zero »
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

BobE

Re: Wine madness
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 13:24 »
Looks lovely.
How do you get such big photo's.?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 13:25 by BobE »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 13:56 »
Well done Capt!  :D  That second one looks lovely already.  Do you have a recipe please as I'm a bit of a novice at these things.  Have all the kit so I really must put it to use.  :)

I've started off my first iBrew kit (Shiraz, I think) but really need to clear the spare room before I start anything larger and get some help with lifting it onto the work surface.   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 13:59 »
I would like to start making wine,fed up of paying VAT. SO how would I go about it from a carton of juice, please be gentle & in simple terms. I was bought a kit at Christmas but think I am a bit scared to start. I once made a gallon from my own grapes but I could only use it for cooking.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 14:08 »
Also, while we're at it, is there an easier way of measuring SG?  I have a real problem reading a standard glass one and find them very easy to break usually by dropping them in the sink.  ::)  Is there a digital or dial version?  :D

BobE

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 14:55 »
Also, while we're at it, is there an easier way of measuring SG?  I have a real problem reading a standard glass one and find them very easy to break usually by dropping them in the sink.  ::)  Is there a digital or dial version?  :D

Taste it.  If it tastes sweet then there is still sugar to ferment out.  It should taste very dry.  It won't taste much like the finished wine as it will be quite overpowering, but that will change on the second fermentation.  But if you can taste sugar then you should let it continue.

BobE

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 14:56 »
I would like to start making wine,fed up of paying VAT. SO how would I go about it from a carton of juice, please be gentle & in simple terms. I was bought a kit at Christmas but think I am a bit scared to start. I once made a gallon from my own grapes but I could only use it for cooking.

The best start is to make a kit.  Follow the instructions to the letter.  You can branch out after your kit comes true. 

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 15:25 »
BobE..

I store all my photos in www.photobucket.com 
then all you do is click one of your photos, wait for it to open then down the right  side you'll see..
"Links to share this photo" just click on the right of IMG were it says "url" it copies to your clipboard, then you just paste into your post..you can resize your photos to make them smaller if you want to.

Auntiemogs..

The cherry & apple juice was on offer at Tesco's yesterday, 2lts for £1.75.

So the recipe is..

4 lts cherry & apple juice.
1 tsp citric acid. or juice of a lemon
1 tsp pectolase.
1/8 tsp tannin...or a cup of strong black tea.
1 tsp yeast nutrient.
1tsp  Glycerin. (for mouth feel)
350 grams of sugar to start with then follow up with another 300 grams a few days later. (the reason for this is to hold back the froth going through the airlock) if it takes off like a train..
1 tsp of yeast (I use Gervin)

I'm not aware if there's a digital or dial version hydrometer...never seen one. Just Googled it and nothing came back.. :(   The other way is to count up all your sugars in any juice you use....this cherry & apple juice that I used had 25.1 grams per 2 lts..making 50.2 grams, now I needed to add a total of 700grams in this brew....there a table on the net somewhere, but I can't find it at the mo....If I do I'll post it.

Take a look here...[urlhttp://winemaking.jackkeller.net/sugar.asp] Click here [/url]

Snowdrops..

If you have a kit all ready I would go with that for a start in making fruit wines. It's all done for you, pour the contents of the can into your DJ, follow the instructions and hey presto one gall of wine. What items do you have to make a wine?? buckets, thermometer, hydrometer??.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 15:46 »
Thanks Capt.  :)

Snowy, I made my first kit using one of those 5L water bottles from Tesco and my son drilled a hole in the lid for an airlock & bung (I made 1L marks with a permanent marker as I decanted it).  Only thing you have to watch is not pouring hot liquids in unless there's something to lower the temperature as the plastic can melt.  :-) 

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 16:30 »
Right on Auntiemogs... I tell anyone who asks about making home made wine, don't fall for all the adds on Ebay for plastic DJ...I've seen them for around £4/£5 with £2.50 p&p....no way thanks....as you've said buy a gall of water, use it either drink it or make tea with it...then you have a DJ just waiting to be filled with one of the many recipes that are around.....go for it Snowdrops.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 18:42 »
There's a bucket in the kit I think,did have demi john's & thermometer but got rid when we moved :wacko: Will get the kit out & have a go,I was a bit put off by it saying it was ready in a week.

BobE

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 18:51 »
There's a bucket in the kit I think,did have demi john's & thermometer but got rid when we moved :wacko: Will get the kit out & have a go,I was a bit put off by it saying it was ready in a week.

Almost all first fermentations take a week.  So yes ready in a week is true.  However, wine when stored properly will go through a second fermentation, called macr...... something,  this will continue for the life of the wine.  There is a lot of benefit in this process.  The best way to experience the change is ....
Taste a glass after first fermentation is complete... You will struggle to finish it.
Taste a glass after 6 weeks.. It will reasonable.
Taste a glass after 3 months ... You will drink the entire bottle.
After 9 months it will be almost perfect.
There is a point when the wine will start to loose its best,  several years.  Some of these 100 year old £10,000 bottles that sell at auction are probably undrinkable by now.

I have read that country fruit wines are short lived, its something to do with fruit steralisation.  The contents of the bought kits are steralised.  I belive country wines (As they are called) should be drunk within the year.) I've only read this, someware and I don't know if its true.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 18:55 by BobE »

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 18:56 »
Thankyou, I will get the box from under the stairs & have a go,'cos here I am twiddling my thumbs & really need a new hobby that needs looking after :lol:

BobE

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 19:00 »
Thankyou, I will get the box from under the stairs & have a go,'cos here I am twiddling my thumbs & really need a new hobby that needs looking after :lol:

Excellent.  Hygine is critical, same as in jam making, you can use baby bottle sterelisation tablets to get you going.  Boiling water at a push.  Rinse out the fermentaion bucked with boiling water to get it sterile to start with.  Get the brew up and running.  Good luck and enjoy it. :D :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 19:01 »
I got one of those self-adhesive thermometers that they sell for aquariums Snowy and it does the job (think they sell them at Wilko).  Also have a heat pad which was donated to me when someone dismantled their vivarium.  Not really necessary at the moment but useful when it gets chilly. :-)

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
Wine from anything

Started by seadart on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post August 19, 2007, 23:07
by muntjac
xx
red wine help

Started by grinling on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 16:51
by grinling
xx
old wine

Started by big green bloke on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 12:46
by David.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 29 queries.