Russian Nuclear Tidal Wave

• 24 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Russian Nuclear Tidal Wave
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2022, 08:32 »
Were czars really any worse than western royal lines, oligarchs worse than vulture capitalists.  Isn't Trident just as big a folly as Russian military spending given the state of the UK economy, wouldn't many Americans welcome a massive reduction in military spending in return for free healthcare?  Isn't the concentration of wealth as big a problem in the 'free' west as everywhere?
Following the collapse of the Soviet Union and its breakup, the state industries of Russia were effectively given to the oligarchs in return for political support. Capitalists at least generate wealth, like Musk, Gates, Bezos.  The main thing is that in the west, if you don't like the system, you can change it -that's democracy as against autocracy.
As for Trident - following the breakup of the USSR, Ukraine gave up it's 1700 nuclear weapons. I rest my case. :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2022, 18:15 »

Seems to me that both of these statements could be equally relevant when made about most countries.  Were czars really any worse than western royal lines, oligarchs worse than vulture capitalists.  Isn't Trident just as big a folly as Russian military spending given the state of the UK economy, wouldn't many Americans welcome a massive reduction in military spending in return for free healthcare?  Isn't the concentration of wealth as big a problem in the 'free' west as everywhere?

The distribution of wealth is certainly not equal or fair, and that seems to be a worldwide condition. I would argue that it is maybe more unfair in Russia than many western countries.

There probably are Americans that would prefer better healthcare over more military spending. However, that spending does come in handy when your country is invaded by Russia and you are looking for help. True, sometimes American military intervention happens for the wrong reasons, and there are sometimes bad consequences, but in Ukraine, I think the United States got it just about right. Same goes for the UK.

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2022, 23:24 »
I still wonder if all this tittle tatle helps anyone?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2022, 00:07 »
It's the 2nd time you've posted that, but I think it's called discussion  ;)

If John the site owner wants to discuss something, that's up to him, surely? Nobody has to join in...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2022, 00:08 »
I still wonder if all this tittle tatle helps anyone?
Still not contributing to a discussion - and not really making sense. Tittle-tatlle is defined as "casual conversation about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as true; gossip." If this is not of interest to you then don't read it and don't post on it.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2022, 06:47 »
Were czars really any worse than western royal lines, oligarchs worse than vulture capitalists.  Isn't Trident just as big a folly as Russian military spending given the state of the UK economy, wouldn't many Americans welcome a massive reduction in military spending in return for free healthcare?  Isn't the concentration of wealth as big a problem in the 'free' west as everywhere?
Following the collapse of the Soviet Union and its breakup, the state industries of Russia were effectively given to the oligarchs in return for political support. Capitalists at least generate wealth, like Musk, Gates, Bezos.  The main thing is that in the west, if you don't like the system, you can change it -that's democracy as against autocracy.
As for Trident - following the breakup of the USSR, Ukraine gave up it's 1700 nuclear weapons. I rest my case. :)

Personally, I disagree that it is this binary and could argue that both the US and UK have barely functioning democracies, given the gerrymandering, opaque political funding and secret lobbying that goes on.

Let's just hope the war and ends soon.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2022, 08:42 »
Personally, I disagree that it is this binary and could argue that both the US and UK have barely functioning democracies, given the gerrymandering, opaque political funding and secret lobbying that goes on.

Let's just hope the war and ends soon.
At least you can say that here without disappearing or being charged with 'Insulting the state' or somesuch!

And we can all agree that the sooner this terrible war ends the better.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2022, 17:53 »
It looks like Putin's misadventure has, during this week, killed a whole Russian battalion at one time, trying to cross a river.

Also, Finland and Sweden are likely to join NATO. Putin has turned off electric power to Finland, Finland has said thanks, we'll make it up with more renewable capacity. Putin is not crazy enough to start a war with Finland along an 800 mile long front. The Finns are even better trained, prepared and armed than Ukraine, they would mop the floor with the Russians.

If Finland and Sweden do join, I wonder if NATO will make it three with Ukraine? Or 4 with Moldova?

Rumors are rampant that Putin is terminally ill with a blood cancer. One probable type of cancer includes steroids as part of the treatment. Steroid side effects can include puffiness, delusions, paranoia, irrational behavior, low resistance to infections, including COVID. The FSB is reported to be issuing statements saying that Putin does not have cancer, which means that it is likely that he does. It would explain a lot of things, including the ultra long meeting tables on television clips.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2022, 19:25 »
Even if he is ill, imagine being that crazy that you need this war as your legacy?  :wacko:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2022, 23:22 »
It's getting weirder by the day. Russia's mad claims that Jews are Nazis, inept blackmail of other countries with energy and German neo-Nazis demonstrating for Putin. Ukrainians have discovered the video gamers are real whizz kids at working drones and target selection for artillery. They describe it as 'kinda fun'!
I suspect the radar controlled 155mm howitzers are going to be a real game changer for Ukraine.
You might find this chap - Operator Starsky  worth watching on YouTube

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 44 queries.