hen not laying,bit worried.

• 9 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
hen not laying,bit worried.
« on: May 17, 2012, 16:59 »
This is probably just me worrying again lol  ::) I was getting 4 eggs a day from my 4 hens now im only getting 3. One of them isnt laying and i cant figure out which one. they are all eating and drinking fine and look happy and healthy. None of them are showing any signs of being egg bound ive even had each one of them out and gently felt and checked them all over. Is there other reasons a hen will stop laying i.e. weather etc. The hens are all still young as ive had them a month and 2 were 26 weeks when i got them and 2 were 18 weeks. should i be doing more or am i being over dramatic as my partners says lol  :)

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
Re: hen not laying,bit worried.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 17:03 »
sorry just to add this has happened for 4 days now  :)

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 17:23 »
HI - I'm just a newbie but I think they have a days rest now and then. With my two I get two eggs then only get 1 egg now and then.
Could it be that each of your four have had a rest, one after the other? Or is that too much of a coincidence do you think? If they all seem healthy and happy perhaps see what the next few days bring?
If this is wrong I expect someone will tell us soon!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 18:57 »
I got mine the same time as you, and one of mine isn't laying. She was a bit off colour for a few days and then laid a couple of softies a couple of weeks ago, but may have laid one yesterday as one was significantly smaller than the other. She is in good form now, active and greedy. Of the other two, one lays regularly nearly every day (she tells you so!) and one lays about three or four a week.

Hopefully they will all settle down soon.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 19:22 »
thanks guys cor i sound like i should be out there with a whip making them earn thier keep lol they have laid 4 eggs since the day i got them so yes i expect one of them is having a rest. I even checked the cctv in the garden to check nothing scared them in the night lol they certainly havent shown any sign of being poorly they are all very alert and active. Besides this has probably done me a favor cause i dont know about the hens but im egg bound lol and im running out of things to use them all for  :lol:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 20:13 »
Whereas I am still buying half a dozen occasionally and being very possessive with my "home grown" ones! :D

Cooking is one of my hobbies so lots of eggs would be great! Scotch eggs tomorrow to go in a picnic lunch for a day out (weather permitting)

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:26 »
First of all... hens are not machines, it is rare, even for commercial hybrids to lay every single day.

Having three eggs a day with four hens is very good, and you will probably find that it is not one hen who is't laying, but each day one hen will have a break.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 16:32 »
thankyou this puts my mind at rest it will stop me driving my partner mad too lol he says im being a drama queen lol  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 16:42 »
You are!!     :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the past week, we have had 20 eggs from 20 hens TWICE!  I can't remember the last time we had a complete set!  ;)

It is a natural thing Dawn, so try not to worry or you may put them off laying even more!  :D

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 16:59 »
my jersey's are 3 years old and the eggs are laid 3 on 1st day, 2 on 2nd and 1 on 3rd then back to 3!!!

but in their defence they do lay well into october and then pick up again in late february/early march so its only fair they get a rest during the week :)
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
I'm still worried

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:54
by kimT

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 37 queries.