put eggs undr broody, due to hatch.. do i put them in or leave them out?

• 8 Replies

Craigx

• Experienced Member
Hey,

my girls all fell like dominos, and went broody days after each other, so i popped a few eggs under her and theyre due to hatch this week. so my question is..

Do i leave them out when theyv hatched, or put them into a brooder?

Craig
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
leave them with the broody hen in her broody coop - she will look after them and raise them. This is the best and natural way. Taking the chicks off her will upset her and she will spend ages looking for them and crying out for them. It will also upset the chicks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

themagicaltoad1

You have got them in a broody coop separate from the other hens haven't you? or there's a good chance the others will attack the chicks. you will also need to get some chick crumbs and followed by growers pellets. The chicks communicate with their mum by cheeping before they hatch, it helps to form the bond between them, so if you have more than one sitting, don't mix the eggs.

Craigx

• Experienced Member
You have got them in a broody coop separate from the other hens haven't you? or there's a good chance the others will attack the chicks. you will also need to get some chick crumbs and followed by growers pellets. The chicks communicate with their mum by cheeping before they hatch, it helps to form the bond between them, so if you have more than one sitting, don't mix the eggs.

Nope theyre currently all in the same coop,

now i am confused as wot todo

Craig

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Hi craig they will need to be seperate or the may leve the eggs and as said the others may attack the chicks  :ohmy: you can use anythink as a brooder cage, i use a dog crate the other is in a large rabbit hutch, you can just seperate a bit of your run for her  :D
Chicken crazy

joyfull

When you do come to move her get your broody coop ready first then pick her up and hold her under one arm. Carefully lift a couple of eggs at a time allowing her to see what you are doing and place them in the broody coop. Repeat this until all the eggs have been moved (trying to keep the eggs the same way up if possible) and then carefully place her on top of the eggs. If possible do this in the afternoon and shut her in with the eggs for the night.

I find that chicks that hatch with a broody are ok being allowed out with the others within a week - I allow this after they have had their main feed so mid morning and then shut them back in their own run in the mid afternoon.
Stop the other hens from eating the chick crumb as I find they love it but this is just for the broody and her chicks  :).

When the broody does bring her chicks out clean her broody coop thoroughly and remove any egg shells or eggs that haven't hatched.

Craigx

• Experienced Member
ok, but all 3 girls r on eggs due to hatch the same day, do i really need to seperate them all?

craig

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
I had the same situation with 2 bantams.  They were both in the same coop and stealing each others eggs.  This can cause damage to the eggs so I bought a large second hand rabbit hutch.  I set it up and when the broody was having a feed and drink I transferred the eggs carefully.  Then put her in with them.  She settled down no problem. 

One lot is due to hatch in a week and the other a few days later.

Good luck with your new broods.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

when they hatch a broody hen can attack one of the others chicks - so really yes they should be separate.
You get the odd time where two broodies will share chicks as I had last year with a more experienced hen doing most of the work and the other learning but this is not the norm.

xx
How many eggs could a broody hen hatch ?

Started by slurp on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 21:14
by slurp
xx
If eggs don't hatch can i replace eggs under broody hen?

Started by ---Snakey--- on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:20
by Sassy
xx
For how long can a broody hen leave the eggs uncoverd?

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 14:39
by cathangirl
xx
How long to leave eggs under the broody bird

Started by Gary Collier on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 02:13
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 36 queries.