bird mites infesting humans

• 4 Replies

eggbertina

bird mites infesting humans
« on: November 28, 2011, 22:21 »
Has anyone any experience of northern fowl mite transferring to themselves?  The little critters give me the heebie jeebies anyway, but I'm wondering if I'm just imagining this crawling sensation on scalp, face and nose in the middle of the night .... or not !! :ohmy:
Then I saw a specific web site 'birdmites.org' and it was an absolute horror story, with people and homes infested.
So many people are keeping chickens in the UK now, I wonder what 'experiences' may be out there??

eggbertina

Re: NFM bird mites infesting humans
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:30 »
This morning, in desperation, I've put a spot on product on them that is not supposed to be used on 'food birds', but is known to tackle the problem.  My one hen was not responding to all the treatments and another was startling to look suspect.  It's so difficult when all the conventional products have been used and the vet can only tell me that other products are unlicenced, but that I should look online! ... which I resorted to.  I am quite sure it's NFM now as the main poorly bird clearly has a problem during the day and the shaking of the head indicates mites in the ear canal - a typical symptom.  Please - has anyone else some experience to share???

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: bird mites infesting humans
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:31 »
After a few days of having things crawling through my hair, showering and washing all my clothes all the time......  a squirt of Frontline (on the hen)  seems to have fixed it.  She dustbathes a lot so hoping she'll stay OK.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:46 »
sorry, never had northern fowl mites but red mite always makes me itch like mad.
Staffies are softer than you think.

eggbertina

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 21:25 »
Thanks for replying ladies.  I can tackle problems on the hens, but I'm really not keen when it affects me!!  :tongue2:  In my blissful ignorance, I never realised that such a thing could occur.

Been at work all day and my partner had shut coop for the night by the time I got home, so keen to see how the girls are in the morning.  I shall be going to bed covered in Ti Tree oil products, Vick Vapor rub in the nose and anything else I can think of ... just in case!

Yuk, yuk, yuk...

xx
Are they the same as humans?

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 20:29
by Chookiechook
xx
Can redmite liveon humans???

Started by Mischief on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 07:27
by SMD66
xx
Shrubs that are poisonous to humans

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 18:17
by Oliveview
xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 36 queries.