Think my hen is sex changing!

• 0 Replies

freebirdy

• I'd rather be insane than boring!
Think my hen is sex changing!
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:21 »
Dusty my tiny little Poland bantam appears to be undergoing a sex change!  :ohmy: I had to break her from a failed broody session in late summer ( a fact that she was broody in the first place was surprising as Polands are not known for their broodiness at all - ususally lousy mums!)
She has never come back into lay, went throught quite a big moult, lost nearly all her tail feathers and pom-pom crest.
Now shes' developing what looks like a full curved tail and neck hackles. Also she is developing the very distinct Poland crest of a cockerel! Long pointed feathers compared to the round ended of hens!
Her chest seems very broad and she is definately "strutting" rather than walking around like the rest of the girls.
I know it not unknown for some hens to turn into cockerels and vice versa but it's very very rare, 1 - 10,000 chance so I've read!
Wondering if anyone else has had/got a hermaphrodite chookie!
If she is in deed changing sex she is going to be one very small cockerel! She's tiny even for a Pol bant, no way near the British Standards! Last time I weighed her she was only 900g!
I've already got a rooster so this could turn out interesting!  :wacko:
1 fiance, 3 kids, 1 fish, 1 cat, 9 poland bantams, 6 Barbu de Watermael, 2 allotment plots and not enough time!

xx
Changing Food

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 11:48
by Bodger
xx
changing from ark to house

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 13:44
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Hens changing sex?

Started by mrs.ploppy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 16:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
Changing food

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 09:33
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 39 queries.