Getting to know me

• 5 Replies

dakota

Getting to know me
« on: July 10, 2007, 21:08 »
Well,I've had my chucks 7weeks now,how time flies when you're enjoying life: I'm getting 3 eggs a day at present,the eggs from the Light Sussex, Speckled Maran,and the Meadow Sweet Ranger,are getting  quite big,I've seen these 3 in the nest box so I know they're definately laying,the other 2,the Bovan Nera and the RIR I do'nt know if they're laying yet as I've not noticed them in the nest box,they are much smaller hens than the other 3 in body size, and also their comb and wattles are much smaller,is this anything to go by, can you Aunt Sally or Richyrich  advise.
 A couple of weeks  ago I hung  Cabbage,Broccoli,Lettuce,etc in the run and they wouldn't touch it,today my wife cooked extra potato's and veg for our dinner,and what was left I chopped very fine and mashed together with warm water,and they woofed it down.Its the same with fruit they won't eat Apples,Pears ,etc unless its chopped very fine,do you think this because they're very young,and don't like pecking at hard food.
 The outside run is partly my old veg plot, I throw a couple of handsful of mixed corn down and rake it in,after a couple of days,if its sunny like today it sprouts,I turn it over with the fork,and that keeps them happilly scratting about for a couple of hours. I've found this is the best way for them to get to know me,as soon as they see me pick the fork up they're standing on my feet,so I'm able to stroke them and pick them up.
 Well another long posting, I hope you find it interesting reading these novice reports?  Best wishes to you all   Edward

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Getting to know me
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 21:24 »
Lovely, sounds great.

I want to know where your getting the sunny days from and can you send some down this way please :?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Getting to know me
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 21:31 »
You seem to be having a great time with your chooks  :D

Your quite right about the younger birds I think.  They don't sound quite mature enough to be laying yet.  Keep offering them greens etc. they will get to love it eventually and it is so good for them.  Don't give too many treats and reserve them for the afternoons.  

What a great idea to sprout the corn for them,  I'll bet they love that  8)  Think I'll have a go at that myself  :D

dakota

Getting to know me
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 21:36 »
Quote from: "slowef"
Lovely, sounds great.

I want to know where your getting the sunny days from and can you send some down this way please :?

Hi' Slowef.
              The weather here in Nottingham as been great,especialy last weekend ,really warm and sunny,yesterday was showery,today as been sunny and cloudy,I'll take the cloud and showers after the amount of rain we've  had. Hope the sun reaches you .
                                                             Best wishes Edward

dakota

Getting to know me
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 21:44 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
You seem to be having a great time with your chooks  :D

Your quite right about the younger birds I think.  They don't sound quite mature enough to be laying yet.  Keep offering them greens etc. they will get to love it eventually and it is so good for them.  Don't give too many treats and reserve them for the afternoons.  

What a great idea to sprout the corn for them,  I'll bet they love that  8)  Think I'll have a go at that myself  :D

Hi Aunt Sally,
                   I've also put the corn in a container,covered it with water,left it standing for 12 hours drained it then covered the container with a towel and put it on the floor in the airing cupboard it soon starts to sprout,the chucks love it.  I only give the chucks extras late in the afternoon,I feed them layer pellets add  lib,this was pointed out to me on the forum when I first posted,Thanks for the reminder.
                             Best wishes   Edward

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Getting to know me
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 21:46 »
You sound like the perfect chook keeper to me Edward  :D

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 36 queries.