New member and first egg!!

• 7 Replies

Gloria

« on: May 27, 2007, 11:24 »
Hi everyone :)
I've been reading your forum for the last six weeks and found it very helpful while we've been setting up a home for our five hens which we got on 29 April (first three) and 6 May (next two). They are all twenty weeks old tomorrow and we've had thrills and spills :? as they've been settling in, squabbling and providing more entertainment than any soap!
Anyway, one of them - Coral - who looks like Foghorn Leghorn :lol: laid her first egg today at 10.30  :D which is the size of a Yale key! We thought that something was up as she went into the nest box, which she never normally does, and was still there half an hour later. We stroked her then lo and behold! out popped the egg before our eyes!!
So thank you for all the comments and tips that have got us to this point - here's to all of you!! and have a great Sunday!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:29 »
Woooo... How exciting Gloria.  So glad you have joined the forums (at last :roll: ).  Hens are such fun aren't they.  Collecting eggs never loses its pleasure  :D

WG.

Re: New member and first egg!!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 12:35 »
Hi Gloria & welcome to the forum.  Glad you joined us.
Quote from: "Gloria"
providing more entertainment than any soap!
You'll see from my avatar that I don't like soap either ...  :wink:

Gloria

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 19:44 »
Thank you for the welcome! :wink:Glad to be here:D. Just back from a walk and two more eggs have appeared  :tongue2: . Very small and cute! Unfortunately one cracked as it's been stood on, so it will be scrambled for Benji our dog :?. Other one fried by husband for egg sandwich. Tastiest ever:D So it seems like we are in production now.
Two questions: has anyone ever made "crowdie" for hens? My dad says it's what they gave theirs when he was a lad. If so, hows it made? Also what about live yogurt for hens - I've read it's good for their gut, but elsewhere that it's not. What do you reckon?

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 21:24 »
Dn't know if this is it but it says its like cottage cheese.  I suspect you leave out the salt if making it for chickens

Borrowed from
 http://www.electricscotland.com/food/recipes/crowdie.htm

Crowdie

Put two pints of freshly sour or thick milk into a pan and place on a slow heat and watch until it curdles. Do not allow the milk to simmer or boil otherwise the curds will harden. When the curd sets let it cool before you attempt draining the whey.  Line a colander with a clean muslin cloth and transfer the curds into it and leave until most of the whey has drained before squeezing the last of the whey out by hand. Mix the crowdie with a little salt until it has a smooth texture. Now blend the crowdie with a little cream and place the mixture in a dish and allow to rest in a refrigerator.

dawninspain

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 21:28 »
Hello and welcome from me too Gloria

I am sure that I read somewhere that one of the foods that you should not give to hens is anything dairy. Not sure why maybe someone else knows.

Dawn

Gloria

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 22:18 »
Hmm thankyou both, that is food for thought  :) I am seeing dad tomorrow and will quiz him. I think he said oats and water were in it, so maybe it's a different recipe from yours slowef.
Meanwhile i am ina state of shock as we have just been visited by Mr Fox. We were watching tv at 8.15. Girls started squawking and as we looked out my mother in law yelled it's a fox at which we charged into the garden. Fox had Roberta in his mouth but dropped her, but then dog went for her in the confusion. Anyhow MIRACULOUSLY :D none of the girls has been injured, not even Roberta but they are all shaken and dog seems very embarrassed  :( . When I went out into front street ther was Mr F cool as cucumber, quite large and red with golden highlights. My next door neighbour came out and said their two guinea pigs disappeared a fortnight ago after fox dug into their run. So we townies have been too complacent, with only fine nylon net to keep hens off plants but nothing to keep predators off them. I cannot believe how lucky we have been. Husband, son and son's friend have all been weeing round perimeter of hens area  :? husband has turned from reasonable peaceful person into bloodthirsty foxhater  :twisted:, mother in law is having a liedown with splitting headache :cry: , girls are locked up for night and tomorrow we start to build Fort Knox.  :roll: . Ho hum.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 22:20 »
I'm afraid I don't know.  My feeling is that you should not.  Milk is not a natural food for birds so they may lack the enzyme to digest lactose.  Having said that I sometimes recommend live yoghurt to improve the gut flora.  Perhaps this cheesy feed does the same.  I would not use it constantly though.

xx

Started by mercury on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 30, 2006, 13:21
by Zak the Rabbit
xx

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 14:21
by WR1
xx

Started by dakota on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 21:05
by Foxy
xx

Started by bloodhound on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 14, 2008, 18:44
by Vember

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 39 queries.