A bit sneezy - might it be worm?

• 3 Replies

Flowerpower136

A bit sneezy - might it be worm?
« on: August 07, 2009, 17:20 »
Have noticed one of our new ex batts - 'Paxo' is occasionally sneezing.  No wheezing or runny nose, or anything like that.  Big healthy looking hen (apart from ex bat hair do), active, eating well, sunbathing etc etc, but just occasiionally.....what I think is a sneeze.  Could just be dusty layers mash?  But non of the others are doing it

Seem to remember reading something to do with a nasty worm - Gap worm?

Haven't done anything with them yet re worms.  Have got Verm-X as a preventative, but not used yet.

What do you expert Peeps think?  Do I need to do anything? :unsure:

poultrygeist

Re: A bit sneezy - might it be worm?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 17:27 »
Hi FP.

If it's only very occasionally, it could be just a bit of dust or grass tickling her nose.

Gape worm makes them stretch their necks and seem to yawn or gasp. It doesn't sound like a cold or worse unless it's very early stages. I know their nostrils and eyes start to discharge, but if there is none, then don't panic just yet.

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 18:48 »
Hi FP

Verm x isn't good against gapeworm so it may be best when it comes time for worming ( which shouldn't be yet) to get some Flubenvet it really is the best and kills all the nasties :)

Sarah :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 13:55 »
Thanks Rob & Sarah
That's reassuring.
Have spent far too many hours perched in the hen pen this weekend!  Bliss!  So have had opportunity to watch all of them carefully.
Paxo, my sneezer, is still giving the odd snort, but it really is very occasionally, and she definately has no discharge or any other worrying symptom.  She's an absolute scream.  She's got the longest neck of any hen I've ever seen, and has worked out that she can get food from the top of the feeder.......which no one else can reach!  It's hilarious, just hope she doesn't strain herself.
Anyway back to worms.  There is no yawning either, so not worrying about Gape worm anymore.
Thanks again.
Janet

xx
Sneezy Ex-Batt

Started by RachelO on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post December 09, 2007, 22:16
by RachelO
xx
Should i worm now?

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 22:26
by HENrietta
xx
when to worm?

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 14:17
by bantam novice
xx
Big Worm

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 23:36
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 33 queries.