what to do with chick with twisted leg

• 5 Replies

Chookster

• Experienced Member
what to do with chick with twisted leg
« on: July 10, 2009, 00:21 »
 :unsure:i had two very healthy chicks hatch - all fine no probs, developing well.  Then there was one i had to help out of the egg.  I found out part of the reason, its leg isn't right.  It seems the knee part is stiff and painful to move, the foot uses an arched stance and the leg is out to the side a bit.  The poor chick chirps when it hops around.  Am I supposed  to put it down or take it to a vet?? How much is this going to cost to fix? Although they're only 3 days old they're a substantial size i think  :unsure:

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: what to do with chick with twisted leg
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 12:26 »
I'm sure some one will be along soon, who will advise how to arrange an elastic band, which should gradually straighten the little leg.
cathangirl

poppies

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 13:29 »
Hi sorry but I think after 3 day's it might  be a bit late for the elastic band treatment, it may be kinder to put it to sleep, I have helped them out of eggs before as I like to give them a chance sometimes they are ok but usually they have the sort of problems you describe and have to be culled

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 00:11 »
i hate this bit. you're absolutely right about those eggs that hatch late/need help getting out.  there's almost always a reason why and it's mother nature's way of sorting it. one day i might learn to leave be but it 's a human way i think and we all love animals on here don't we. but then we get onto the cruel to be kind situation and then i'm sitting on the fence again.  i guess as you get older you're more reluctant to kill something. i don't just see an 'object' in pain, i see a character with a soul.

i'm supposed to be going into this with a farming attitude and it's a big learning curve.  Not the hatching and growing on, that's easy (in comparison) but the perfecting of hatching of eggs and dealing with the things like necessary culling - the things that with practice should become less of an occurance as i will learn better foundations in what i am wanting to achieve (i'm waffling as i've had 2 big glasses of wine this eve :blush:)

anyway, i know that culling this chick is on the cards. but i will probably give the lacky band thing a go. do i just wind it around the suspected affected joint???

thanks guys.x

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 09:04 »
Hi there! sorry to hear about the little one! I had 13 hatch on Wednesday and by Friday I knew i would have to cull 2 of them, this hatch has been terrible and it was all because of the scorching weather we had the other week and my incubator couldnt maintain temperature, even though it was in the coolest room in the house! anyway! by friday 1 little silver laced wyandotte couldnt stand up, it was just fluttering around on its tummy with 1 leg at a funny angle, it definately wasnt spraddle leg so the hobble wouldnt of worked, also the very 1st lavender araucana that actually pipped on day 19 and hatched on day 20 suddenly went down hill and i knew when i got home yesterday it was suffering! so I had to cull both of them, (i then had 2 large glasses of wine myself) its only the 5th time i have done it and its not easy but i knew each time it was for the little ones own good!
Good luck hope the hobble does work

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poppies

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 09:43 »
i hate this bit. you're absolutely right about those eggs that hatch late/need help getting out.  there's almost always a reason why and it's mother nature's way of sorting it. one day i might learn to leave be but it 's a human way i think and we all love animals on here don't we. but then we get onto the cruel to be kind situation and then i'm sitting on the fence again.  i guess as you get older you're more reluctant to kill something. i don't just see an 'object' in pain, i see a character with a soul.

i'm supposed to be going into this with a farming attitude and it's a big learning curve.  Not the hatching and growing on, that's easy (in comparison) but the perfecting of hatching of eggs and dealing with the things like necessary culling - the things that with practice should become less of an occurance as i will learn better foundations in what i am wanting to achieve (i'm waffling as i've had 2 big glasses of wine this eve :blush:)

anyway, i know that culling this chick is on the cards. but i will probably give the lacky band thing a go. do i just wind it around the suspected affected joint???

thanks guys.x

put 2 small loops in the elastic band and thread the legs through you might have to do it a couple of times to get it right let the chick stand up and when it looks like it's standing right you know its tight enough, I know what you mean about the farming attitude we breed birds but I get upset about everyone we have to cull,

xx
chick with twisted neck

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 16:28
by joyfull
xx
Twisted top beak

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 07:43
by Casey76
xx
hen with a twisted neck

Started by brenda on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 20:51
by IMOmimey
xx
Twisted paper egg shell

Started by gregs1972 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 24, 2007, 12:38
by muntjac

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.