Eglu Cube

• 4 Replies

Elcie

Eglu Cube
« on: June 21, 2009, 21:26 »
Eglu cube - anyone have one?  I have been a chicken keeper for one month and am seriously addicted.  Really thinking about upgrading from my Eglue which has 3 hens to the Cube which I would have 7/8 in with the extended run.

Does anyone have one of these?  It is the time of year when I mark extra exam papers so will have some money to spare, just wondering whether to invest in one of these?  The hens have the opportunity to free range around the (small) garden for 3-4 hours each evening.

Of course, there is also the problem of introducing new hens to the three I already have.  Shall I be happy with what I have or shall I expand the egg producing empire?  Any advice would be gratefully received.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Eglu Cube
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 21:48 »
Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice Elcie.

If I had the space I would have one but in a much larger home made run.  7 hens would need an absolute minimum of about 14 squ metres of run space (more would be better) if you are going to leave them in there most of the time.  Don't forget it's dark by 4 p.m. in the winter so no evening to free range in.

No space so I'll stick to my two hens in an Eglu  :(

eggless

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 17:13 »
We've got an Eglu Cube and four (now, sadly, three) ex-batts.  There's loads of room for them inside and they all very sweetly cram themselves into the egg-laying bit to sleep as they don't seem to like perching.   The unextended run is a bit  small for them to be in for any length of time (that's what I think anyway) and ours roam the garden all day.  They shout to be let out otherwise.

As we've had hardly any eggs from the ex-batts, we're thinking of getting 3 POL pure breeds to supplement.  The eglu cube is plenty big enough, but we're just trying to work out if the garden, and we, can cope with the extra chicken scratchings, diggings, poo and general mess.

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 19:51 »
Thanks for the responses.  I am seriously hooked and would like some more ladies.  Think the cube is the way to go but looking to probably do as you suggest Aunty and build a run.

Does anyone have photos of their runs/chicken houses they would like to post so that I can get some ideas?

Thanks.

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 22:53 »
I have recently considered the eglu cube to house my growing addition too ::)
I have, however, opted for the lenham 505 by forsham as it stated will hold up to 24, so reckon that means a comfortable 12!... went for wood so I could add an automatic door! Early mornings, PJs, wellies, up the garden, not my favourite bit  :( .
I have chosen it as it looks very well designed and easy to clean, thats what appealed to me about the eglu....Its coming tomorrow, will  see if its as good as they say and worth the money :unsure:   

xx
eglu cube

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 07:15
by symonep
xx
eglu cube

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 01:03
by compostqueen
xx
Eglu Cube

Started by andyhenderson10 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 17:34
by chuckmum
question
eglu cube

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

39 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 10:15
by joyfull

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.