pecking order

• 3 Replies

VIZLA BLUE

pecking order
« on: January 25, 2009, 16:00 »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi im new to the forum but i hope you can help me.... iv got four chickens and the one we call the bully as attacked one of the other chickens and caused a deep wound on her lower back.... I have treat the wound with dry wound powder to stop the bleeding and have made a cover to hide the wound from the other chickens .. How long should i keep her away from the others as i dont want her to come to any more harm... P.s the bully chicken even peck,s the dog she is a real bully all the other chickens are very wary of her :roll:

Molly Hen

pecking order
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 19:21 »
Welcome Vizla

Afraid I am no expert on this matter, as fortunatley (fingers crossed / touching wood) I have not had this problem :?

I think I recall reading on one of the threads that others have taken the bully hen out for short spells.  This must allow the others to get along and then keep reintroducing the bully.  Not sure if it will work but it might be worth a try if you are at a loss.

I am sure someone else will come along soon with some advice.  

good luck with it all.
 :lol:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
pecking order
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 19:59 »
Hi and welcome to the site  :D

I agree with Molly - by separating the bully and not the bullied hen the remaining ones would re establish the pecking order and when the new one is introduced she should be more submissive but in reality I haven't had to do this with any of mine  :?

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
pecking order
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 20:55 »
Hiya, ive heard that if you seperate the bully for up to a week then reintroduce her she will end up further down the pecking order and will then stop the bullying. From personal experience i have taken bully and one of her friends and seperated them that way, then put them both back in. I hate the whole pecking order thing, it can be so nasty. Good luck and im sure you will get some good advice.

xx
Pecking order

Started by henrietta5 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 22:13
by henrietta5
xx
Pecking order

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 13:20
by mad mark
xx
pecking order

Started by brookieme on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2014, 19:29
by New shoot
xx
pecking order

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2008, 17:13
by Bodger

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 38 queries.