wonky beak

• 8 Replies

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
wonky beak
« on: September 14, 2008, 13:08 »
When I chose my 2 new girls yesterday I checked them over for bright eyes, clean bums etc but just now I was watching the blubelle and noticed that one side of her top beak is slightly short and you can just see a little of the lower beak beneath!? It's not that noticable or I would of spotted it yesterday (it took me an hour to chose :shock: ) but was wondering if it will continue to grow or will it get worse ? she is about 15wks
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
wonky beak
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 15:30 »
just had a closer look! she has broken the very tip off by the looks of it? the lady i bought her from said they hadnt had their beaks trimmed?

Bodger

wonky beak
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 15:34 »
As long as its not been broken off too short , then the top beak will grow and be OK and even then, the hen should manage.

Lardman

wonky beak
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 15:41 »
Were they meadowsweet birds?

I noticed my girls have slightly damaged to top beaks - I put it down to pecking concrete. It doesn't seem to stop them feeding / drinking.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
wonky beak
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 15:41 »
thanks bodger I feel better about it knowing it will grow back! Its been a horrid day, the new girlies have ventured out a couple of times and my girls have set on them, the blubelle ended up with a cut on the top of her beak! :cry: now they are both just holed up inside the coop and wont come out :cry:   i know they have to sort themselves out but its so horrid to watch,

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
wonky beak
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 15:43 »
Quote from: "Lardman"
Were they meadowsweet birds?

I noticed my girls have slightly damaged to top beaks - I put it down to pecking concrete. It doesn't seem to stop them feeding / drinking.

yes they were meadowsweet Lardman, did they grow back? or have you not long had them?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
wonky beak
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 16:21 »
Seems strange that if Lardman's birds are meadowsweets too, that they have a similar problem.  I wonder if they do trim them a bit to stop them pecking each other, but only a little bit, knowing that they will grow back and hope buyers don't notice?

Sorry, but I'm a bit sceptical about these things!

Lardman

wonky beak
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 20:00 »
I really should read my posts before I press submit.  :oops:  .. But I think you got the general idea.

I've only had them a week Chickenlady so I cant say if/when they will grow back.

It doesn't look like a clean cut GrannieAnnie, more like impact damage - Which is what made me think they'd been pecking at concrete. If I can get close enough with the camera I'll get a picture... not easy to find a time when their beaks aren't covered in food though  :D

Bodger

wonky beak
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 21:10 »
Most and certainly the worst damage is done by birds fighting through wire netting.

xx
Chick with wonky beak!!!

Started by em.a on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 11:14
by upthetump
xx
One minute wonky....

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 14:24
by ANHBUC
xx
Wonky crop????

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 08:44
by carolbriar
xx
Wonky Duckling - help please!!

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 12:18
by kirstie1978

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 36 queries.