Chick with wonky beak!!!

• 6 Replies

em.a

Chick with wonky beak!!!
« on: June 01, 2008, 19:40 »
Hi all
We have a 6 week old Aracauna chick whose bottom half of his beak is at about a 60 degree angle to his top half (the normal one).  Although she seems to be eating she does seem to eat for a lot longer than her mate a 6 week old Jersey Giant.  They are currently on growers pellets and she seems to be coping with them at the moment.  

I was wondering whether anyone had dealt with this before and whether there could be problems in the future with eating especially as she grows bigger.  She is a lovely little thing and we do not want to dispatch her as some people have suggested to me as she is not perfect!!!!!  (She is perfect to us - if not a little strange looking)

Any advice, tips or similar stories would be appreciated.

Em
 :)  :)

peggyprice

Chick with wonky beak!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 13:15 »
Hi Em - do you have a picture you can show us?
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

upthetump

• Experienced Member
Chick with wonky beak!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 13:21 »

One of my dirds has the same problem. I posted this here a few months ago. She was 16 weeks when this was taken about 10 weeks ago. Shes eating, drinking and layine fin and shes healthy. Yours should be fine 2. good luck

em.a

Chick with wonky beak!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 20:46 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"
Hi Em - do you have a picture you can show us?

I will try and get one if I can get her to sit still for more than a second, she is a bit flighty and manic but at least she must be eating to get the energy.   :D

em.a

Chick with wonky beak!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 20:56 »
Quote from: "upthetump"

One of my dirds has the same problem. I posted this here a few months ago. She was 16 weeks when this was taken about 10 weeks ago. Shes eating, drinking and layine fin and shes healthy. Yours should be fine 2. good luck

Thanks for that, I am like a nervous new mum, even though had chickens for 4 years now, I have never had to deal with anything like this before.  Your chick looks as if she is really fit and healthy, can she eat anything or do you need to cut any treats up, such as cabbage leaves etc, as I notice that she does have trouble grasping hold of things with her beak.  
Thanks
Em

muntjac

Chick with wonky beak!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 07:21 »
let her be she sill adapt and even if she does take her time eating she is eating thats the important bit :wink:
still alive /............

upthetump

• Experienced Member
Chick with wonky beak!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:14 »
Hi Em, Munty's right. My bird may be a little slower eating but she's doing ok. She doesn't seem to miss out on any greens or layers pellets or anything. In fact shes getting a bit smarter than the others 'cos if a leaf is too big for her, shell wait for the others to break it down and then pinch the smaller bits. I'll try to load a new pic so that you can see her now. All the best (and stop worrying) :)

xx
wonky beak

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 21:10
by Bodger
xx
Duck chick with wonky leg

Started by mrs.ploppy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 19:11
by mrs.ploppy
xx
One minute wonky....

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 14:24
by ANHBUC
xx
wonky duck

Started by tesni on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 14:14
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 34 queries.