Egg withdrawal period for Frontline / Ivermectin

• 16 Replies

splash101

Egg withdrawal period for Frontline / Ivermectin
« on: April 08, 2013, 18:49 »
Is there an egg withdrawal period when using frontline?

Also, does anyone use ivermectin drops and is there a withdrawal period for that also.
I've been told that its suitable for Chickens and there is "possibly / most likely" a withdrawal period but they couldnt tell me how long for :(

I dont need any yet but weighing up options for when I do.

Many thanks knowledgeable ones.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Egg withdrawal period for Frontline / Ivermectin
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 19:32 »
take a look at this page
Staffies are softer than you think.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 19:41 »
Thanks joyfull, that was the info i needed.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 20:32 »
I had a consultation with my vet recently in readiness for any pests on my chickens.  He explained that nothing has been licensed for poultry but that he could prescribe Frontline spray.  He advised an egg withdrawal of 4 weeks. 

It is not a cheap option either buying the spray or having a long egg withdrawal period.  It would be nice to think that more medicines would be licensed for poultry but I can't see that happening as it probably wouldn't make any money for the Pharmaceutical Companies.  :( 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 23:21 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 21:23 »
I feel a bit misled now from the vendor because i specifically asked them if the Ivermectin was suitable for chickens, to which she replied yes absolutely. (failed to mention it wasnt licensed for poultry)
Thinking about though, she was a vendor, so probably just wanted to make a sale.
I wonder if I hadn't asked about the egg withdrawal, would she have mentioned it?.

I didnt buy it because she couldnt advise on the withdrawal period.

There does seem to be a gap in the market.

I wonder what large scale poultry farmers do.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 23:45 »
I don't know.  They replace them when they are still young so they probably treat the accommodation each time they are changing stock.  :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:22 »
that is exactly what they do plus the fact that most are kept inside for all of their short lives so never have any contact with any wild birds to catch them.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 11:19 »
I remember watching that "H*ppy H*ns" undercover video on here and on there they said the place was overrun with redmite!   :ohmy:

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 14:34 »
I have tried Ivermectin as someone recommended trying it for scaley leg - apparently it worked on their hens (a miracle!).  The packaging shows it is licensed for pigeons and game birds (I think) but not chickens.  I had understood though that the egg withdrawl was 7 days (as Joyfull's link).  You dot it onto their skin at the back of the neck and under the arm pit.  Bit tricky when you are holding a struggling hen and trying to get the dropper filled and finding a bit of skin and then dotting it on!  OH assisted but was concentrating so much on the dropper that he didn't realise the bottle had tipped over and we lost the rest of the contents down his leg  :lol:
I am sceptical whether it really worked although I did read that the scales take a while to fall off and regrow so it would not be immediately apparent whether it has helped.  However over 6 months later and it is still not apparent that it has helped.  It is quite expensive - £8 for quite a small bottle (particularly when most ends up on your trousers!)
Once my back is better I am going to use good old Vaseline on their legs but need to be able to catch the girls before we can start the pedicures!
Otherwise I tend to dust my girls to deal with lice/mites etc and use the wondrous Flubenvet for worming - I have't been convinced by Ivermectin although this was for a specific problem.

splash101

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 15:35 »
Thanks Elvira.

I was trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone (not literally) but since we have aviary birds that you can use it on, I thought it might be handy for the chickens too. Although I think the doseage % might be different, I'm not sure.

They're not showing any signs of needing it, or the OH  ;) so i might hold off and stick to the poultry shield and clouds of diatom powder as a precaution.

I've a poorly back too at the moment so I have to ambush them on the way out of the coop in the morning if I need to administer anything. Or my daughter has to catch them. She has youth and energy on her side, I just have the cunning on mine.

I think you have to wait for your chickens to moult and then the old scales fall off.  I think I'd probably stick to the vaseline as well - no egg withdrawal for that.

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 18:23 »
splash is right about having to wait for the molt before the scales renew.  I have a young bantam that has been treated but she probably won't get 'new legs'! until autumn or winter this year.

I think you would know Elvira if the treatment hadn't worked as the irritation drives the birds to distraction and they peck at their own legs.   :(

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 13:55 »
So what I read was right after all! They don't seem particularly bothered by the scales and are keener pecking at my lawn!

Poor Josephine will just have to wait a little longer before she can enter the "Miss Lovely Chicken Legs" competition then...  :lol:

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 08:44 »
Victoria Roberts a poultry vet who writes for country smallholder magazine does not recommend frontline for poultry and actively recommends NOT using it :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 12:10 »
Victoria Roberts a poultry vet who writes for country smallholder magazine does not recommend frontline for poultry and actively recommends NOT using it :)

Does she have any advice on what to use instead so that we can all keep our poultry free from lice and nasty crawlies!   :(

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 09:11 »

Does she have any advice on what to use instead so that we can all keep our poultry free from lice and nasty crawlies!   :(

I have gone back and looked at the article. Her recommendation is based on recent research - as hens preen all over unlike dogs and cats they ingest the active ingredient and this will present in the eggs thereby making them unsafe. she recommends diatomaceous earth :)

xx
Coxoid - Egg Withdrawal Period

Started by SJC on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2012, 00:38
by wildwitchy
xx
Baytril egg withdrawal period - anyone know?

Started by hillfooter on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 12:24
by freddiesmiles
xx
does anyone use ivermectin in lieu of flubenvet and frontline

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 13:57
by TeaPots
xx
ivermectin?

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 23:39
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 37 queries.