Are Plant Halos worth it for tomatoes

• 2 Replies

Seanav

Are Plant Halos worth it for tomatoes
« on: April 15, 2021, 17:57 »
Hi , first year polytunnel growing. Have a long narrow raised bed up the centre approx 30 inches wide. Was thinking of putting the tomatoes in pots with the bottoms cut out and to give them a bit more depth with a water bottle to take the water to the roots directly and then saw "plant Halos" .Anyone ever used them and are they worth while?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Are Plant Halos worth it for tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 08:09 »
I have some and have used them with success.  If you growing in a grow bag or shallow bed, they are really useful.  They make watering very easy. 

Your pot with the bottom cut out and water bottle are going to do much the same thing, but be a bit more homemade looking.   I only got mine as I was working in a garden centre at the time and they were selling them off for peanuts as they were old discontinued stock  ;)

Redcoat

Re: Are Plant Halos worth it for tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 08:12 »
I have seen many polytunnel owners who use the buried bucket/pot method with inverted plastic bottles for watering and don't think that they look particularly 'home made'.  They do have benefits over the halos though  I believe.  Feeding is concentrated around the roots in the bucket/pot and watering is delivered much deeper than possible with the halos if the bottles are put in deeply.  I use 1ltr bottles;  tops left on, bottoms cut off with a few small holes punched around the neck 1" from the top.  This also allows for pretty accurate measurement of water for each plant as the water leaves the bottle very slowly.

xx
plant Halos

Started by rowlandwells on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 18:04
by jezza
xx
When should I plant my tomatoes in an unheated greenhouse?

Started by Headgardener22 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 19:35
by Totty
xx
polytunnels not worth the money

Started by jondav on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 19:55
by adri123
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Austin Brownlee on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2015, 12:39
by Dave NE

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 43 queries.