Melons?

• 2 Replies

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
Melons?
« on: February 09, 2016, 18:32 »
Right-O,managed to snag myselt a 8x15 citadel tunnel at a bargain price last year(its not up yet...waiting for the weather).In my haste i bought 4 different melon vars.. 3 from bakers creek,1 from ..er someplace else.Anyways the plan is to use 1 side of the tunnel fer toms,peppers,chillis..the other side for cuc`s and melons.Realistically, this year i`ll be lucky if i can get 1 side of the tunnel dug over and a bed in place for the toms,etc...so will the melons be ok in grow bags, if so how many per bag...was thinking 1-2 per 50L GROW BAG,would also appreciate any advice/tips growing melons in the cold,EFFING WET north west, thanks in advance and your advice good or bad is always appreciated...URBZ
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

Trikidiki

Re: Melons?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 20:49 »
I would have thought the melons would be better off in the ground. I would clear an area of about a foot around each planting station then cover the rest of the area with weed membrane, cardboard, layers of newspaper or (shock horror!) old carpet or anything to suppress any weed growth. Feed and water through the cleared 'holes'. I would also keep a sprinkling of slug pellets near each plant in case they are down in the soil.

Whatever you use to suppress the weeds will make your clearing job much easier next winter.

Eblana

Re: Melons?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 21:07 »
I was doing work on the beds in my PT last year which meant that only one side was dug.  I put my cucs, melons etc in that side and I sat my Toms on the other side in open bottomed buckets which I filled from grow bags, The roots grew down out of the buckets into the soil underneath I got a great harvest from the toms done this way.

xx
Big melons

Started by Baldy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 12:58
by Baldy
xx
Melons!

Started by samnorfolk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 21:23
by A. Fallowfield
xx
Melons or Aubergines?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 19:40
by 3 allotments
xx
Mealy melons

Started by Hortic on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post August 24, 2023, 12:54
by Hortic

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 38 queries.