Hanging baskets what to do

• 3 Replies

Bobbie

Hanging baskets what to do
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:27 »
Good morning to all,

Because of 2 dogs, 1 cat, two ducks and the chickens which are now restricted to the bottom of the garden in their own space am resorting to hanging baskets for colour in the garden, now have about 10. Can you sugget what you do with hanging baskets at the end of the summer. Some of mine are flaging a bit now, and looking sad. I'm not sure if to tidy them up and eventually put them in the greenhouse, to see if anything comes back next year, or to strip them out and start fresh next year.
Bergonia bulbs I know I can save, but sould I take out geraniums and repot,  take cuttings or what. The petunias really bulk them out, I know they will be finished, and have bought new seeds for next year.
I've tried geranium cuttings in the past, and they have taken, but seem to loose them over winter in the greenhouse.
Bobbie

Goosegirl

Re: Hanging baskets what to do
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 15:03 »
I'd strip them out as they will need fresh compost next year. Geranium cuttings once taken will need a frost-free place and storing almost dry over winter, same with the parent plants and the begonia corms. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Bobbie

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 15:50 »
Thankyou,
Went to B7Q this mo9rning to pick up soome fresh peat, and have been lurking between here and the greenhouse since, will go out and make a start once it cools down at bit, again many thanks.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 18:07 »
Cools down??? Crumbs - you should be here oop north - we've had rain, wind, rain and more wind and some rain as well plus thunder and lightning - oh - and some rain as well plus wind. To be fair, I have been out in my t-shirt but I have a sneaky feeling the strappy top days have gone. I live on the flat near the sea and my hanging baskets have been bashed around somewhat and they are now an embarrasement - I just wish they would make longer brackets so they stand away from the wall more. I got 42 stunning begonia plug plants from Jersey via Gardening Direct and they have been marvellous so will have to be careful in over-wintering them like you, plus my geraniums too. I have hens too and some geese and sheep but they are in their own areas but have recently got two feral cats who are a joy but I do wonder what mischief these naughty torties will get up to in my greenhouse!!!

xx
Hanging baskets

Started by samz on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 11:04
by richyrich7
xx
Hanging baskets

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2017, 09:06
by unclebulgaria
xx
Hanging Baskets

Started by Bluedave on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 07:12
by Bluedave
xx
Hanging baskets.

Started by Stree on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 16:27
by Totty

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 38 queries.