which is best,seeds or plants?

• 3 Replies

twisha

which is best,seeds or plants?
« on: June 18, 2009, 11:18 »
with a view on getting things for next year, which is best to get seeds or plants? ive only just started, a little late this year i think (april) so things id like should have been started last year, so as ive only got a cold green house, which would you advise? both flowers and veggies.
thankyou
wife to 1, mother to 6, my greenhouse is my sanctuary!

Goosegirl

Re: which is best,seeds or plants?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 17:35 »
If you want loads of plants like hardy annuals and biennials such as wallflowers and foxgloves, these can be sown from seed from now for planting in autumn for flowers next year. Plants such as some perennials like delphiniums that you might not want a lot of are perhaps best bought as plants unless you want something unusual. Have a look at your local Wilko if you have one as they can have bargain plants that you can take cuttings from later as do many nurseries in their cut price areas such as fuschias and geraniums that you can then over-winter. For veg, there is still time to grow thinks like salad crops, beetroot, swedes and carrots from seed; if you want, you could look for veg plants for a winter harvest such as purple sprouting broccoli, winter caulis and winter cabbage. I have a cold greenhouse and may try some late carrots in there and spuds for Christmas. It's good to experiment and learn too!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 19:27 »
I sowed all my plants last year:
 perennials...delphiniums (pkt of seed still cheaper than buying 1 plant!) alchemilla mollis, campanulas, astrantia, nepeta, aubretia, diascia and penstemons.You can still sow most of them and transplant into border in autumn This year i've sown verbena bonariensis and have loads now for planting later :)
and self seeding biennial foxgloves (i grew the apricot and the white ones) and honesty.
I have sown some annuals, nicotiana scanderae in white and purple and pink and white lavatera, and must not forget sweet peas :D

The only flowers i bought as plants were White Canna Lilly (cheap plantlets on ebay) mixed pinks, 2 hardy geraniums, 2 bleeding hearts and 2 hardy fuchias a solanum album white climber and roses and more roses :lol: I now have a very full garden. Growing from seed was the cheapest way to do it i couldn't have afforded to have them all otherwise!

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 13:07 »
Seed-raising is generally cheaper, but harder.  If you've never tried it before, stick to people's recommendations for easier things to begin with - busy lizzies are generally held to be a b*tch, for instance, and the seed is quite dear if it does go wrong.

xx
bedding plants from seeds.

Started by joiner on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 11:29
by cuddlykoala
xx
Growing geraniums from seeds collected from plants

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2006, 21:15
by Oliveview
xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi
xx
wild meadow seeds/wildflower seeds

Started by trapper on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 17:15
by trapper

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 39 queries.