Hi Could someone please tell me what this is

It has appeard in my garden
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
whats this
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 13:13 »
Its a Foxglove (Digitalis)
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

lincspoacher

whats this
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 13:53 »
Ohhh pretty, save me some seeds!!!

jimroden

• Experienced Member
whats this
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 13:57 »
HAHAHA that was going to be my next question was can i cultivate it it's a beautiful flower that will be going down the allotment. Now my next question is where will the seeds come from

poultrygeist

whats this
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 13:59 »
We've got loads of foxgloves, some pink, white, but mostly purple, which we hope to sow on.

Apparently, from seed they often revert to the natural purple (purpurea-sp?) but you may lucky and get all sorts of different combinations.
I presume it depends what they've been crossed with.

Good luck with it.

Rob

peapod

• Pea Goddess
whats this
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 14:02 »
seeds are easily bought from wilkos and the rest, but if you are happy with it where it is and itll self seed happily

:-)

beautiful isnt it?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

peggyprice

whats this
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 15:04 »
It will seed itself very beautifully, though like Rob says you may get all sorts of colour variations.  When the flowers go over you'll see rows of seed pods developing up the stem - when they're ripe they burst and scatter (or you can cut the stalks and scatter them where you want them to grow.)  Its a biennial plant - so the seed set this autumn will flower the year after next.  I tend to go round digging up (some of) the first year plants and potting them up to plant out the following year where I want them.

Beautiful flowers, and the bees will love it  :lol:  In fact you have to be a bit careful if you are looking closely at the flowers - oftentimes I have been caught out by a big fat bumblebee that has buried itself so far up the flower you couldn't see it  :lol:  :lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

tweeky

whats this
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 16:21 »
Beegly.

In the past I have had some beautiful white one's but the seeds reverted to purple.

Same with Honesty.

Sad ain't it. :cry:

Yea you can cut them when the seed pods seem ready to give birth. Hang the stalks upside down in a brown paper bag.

peggyprice

whats this
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 16:23 »
Quote from: "tweaky"
Beegly.

In the past I have had some beautiful white one's but the seeds reverted to purple.

Same with Honesty.

Sad ain't it. :cry:

I love Honesty; so beautiful when the seed pods form   :D   Never had it in my own garden though!

tweeky

whats this
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 16:26 »
Beegly.

Hi Peggy.

My first contact with Honesty I was about 7 years old and a neighbour of my Grannies in Staffordshire had loads of them in her front cottage garden.

Such a magical plant. I think that's what started me off in my interest for growing and gardening.

peggyprice

whats this
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 16:34 »
Quote from: "tweaky"
Beegly.

Hi Peggy.

My first contact with Honesty I was about 7 years old and a neighbour of my Grannies in Staffordshire had loads of them in her front cottage garden.

Such a magical plant. I think that's what started me off in my interest for growing and gardening.

Mine was about the same age, in our garden in Somerset - and I know what you mean - think it was being able to see the seeds on the plant and the plant itself, if you follow - sort of made the connection.  That and my aunt, who lived with us at the time, making me a little seed bed and helping me plant alyssum ...

Took me a long time to come back to it, but I think once you've got it in your blood it will always come through in the end  

tweeky

whats this
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 17:05 »
Beegly.

Spot on and I agree. :)

muntjac

whats this
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 07:11 »
pick the black seed pods off later in the year before they burst ,open them and save the seed in an envelope,,,,,,sow in april in compoist half inch ,water and pot on when ready to handle at true leaf stage.... :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
whats this
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 08:59 »
And don't forget it's a biennial so flowers in it's second year.

xx
Whats this on my Bay?

Started by davepitch on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 18:31
by gobs
xx
whats all this then

Started by shaun on General Gardening

31 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 17:56
by babe
xx
whats the difference?

Started by tillytup on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 17:37
by DIGGER
xx
Whats the most u have ever thinned out?

Started by Phoenix on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2006, 21:43
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 38 queries.