What plants please?

• 1 Replies

wilbzfishing

What plants please?
« on: May 17, 2015, 07:46 »
Hi all
I really need some advice on what plants I can grow, the edge of our garden, is next to footpath which is next to a road, the soil is very dry and quite clay.  It also gets splashes of salt from the road, during the winter months
Thanks

Goosegirl

Re: What plants please?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 10:45 »
Firstly, let us know how wide your planting area is, what direction it faces - i.e. how much sun it gets and when, whether your soil is acid or alkaline, do you want annuals or perennials, what style of garden you want such as formal, cottage or whatever, if you want some winter colour, and whether you want a hedge to help keep the salt spray off. You could have a hedge using Griselina (evergreen) which can tolerate salt sprays. Also, a selection of dogwoods with their brilliantly-coloured winter stems of blackish-purple, green, yellow, red and orange which you cut right down in spring so the summer's new growth gives you the best colours over winter. Whatever you decide on, get some mushroom compost, well-rotted manure or whatever compost you can lay your hands on, plus some sharp grit/sand to help with drainage and dig it right in, then add some more manure/compost on top. All this will help with water retention. Clay soils tend to be nutrient-rich so that's a plus. Once you have given us some ideas, we can come back and give you some ideas.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi
clip
Plants for ID

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 13:58
by Goosegirl
xx
plants for i d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 20:55
by sunshineband
xx
plants from nowhere

Started by jondav on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2011, 09:11
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 38 queries.