Geraniums

• 5 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Geraniums
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:51 »
Hi, please can anybody advise how to store geraniums over winter, laat year I left them out, then cut back all the dead folage in spring, I got the best gearaniums this year, passers by would comemt on them, do I try my luck again, I dont have a green house snd I have loads of them, what could I do if I left them outdoors  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Geraniums
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:51 »
We did have an exceptionally mild winter last year, and many plants that would not normally survive did so and have flourished.

In a more typical winter, geraniums (I presume these are pelargoniums, not hardy geraniums?) would not usually survive outside in your area,

Without a greenhouse you have several options:

1. Trust to luck again, cutting them back and mulching round them with straw. If they die buy new plants in the Spring

2. Take cuttings to keep indoors so that if they do die you have replacement plants

3. Dig up your plants, trim them back hard, wrap to roots in newspaper and store them on their sides somewhere cool and dark (but frost free), dampening the paper from time to time.

I hope that helps a bit  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:55 »
Hi Casper

I bring a lot of our geraniums into our sun room for the winter.  I don't cut them back but bring the whole plant in, they are all blooming lovely and give a much welcome bit of colour, especially on days like today!

They survive like this with hardly any watering.  Been doing this for several years now without any failures.  Sun room does resemble a bit of a jungle in the winter :)

If you don't have a sun room or conservatory they would be just as happy on your window sills.
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:23 »
I do like Sunshineband says, and just chuck mine in a box in the shed.  I sprinkle them with water when I remember during the Winter, and when it is also mild, but only so they don't dry out completely. Then I pot up early in the Spring and put them in the greenhouse; a windowsill would do, but the longer they are "dormant" the more the risk that they don't have enough reserves to survive. So I would leave digging them up until frost is forecast, and try to get them going again as early as you can next Spring - if you have no greenhouse / suitable windowsills etc. they may have to go straight outside, so perhaps plant them under a cloche and be prepared to cover that with fleece or an old blanket etc. if there is a late frost.

I normally get 10 or so cuttings stuffed into a 2L pot, and I leave them in that over winter, even though they might start to get a bit crowded, and pot them on in Spring, so that it quite an "economical" way to over winter them, space-wise, but they are smaller plants in the Spring than ones that I over winter, so take a bit longer to make a decent sized plant.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 19:38 »
Thank you very much, I think I will do thd brown paper bag, accept I managed to get some whitd ones which I loved so they might go in the conservstory, thanks  :)

dmg

xx
Geraniums

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

20 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 02:33
by robbodaveuk
clip
What is this happening on geraniums ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2020, 21:59
by mrs bouquet
xx
Geraniums - when to take cuttings?

Started by Nogger on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 10:02
by mrs bouquet
xx
Slow geraniums...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post August 30, 2021, 11:21
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.