Newbie with 2 Pekins

• 7 Replies

Anndee

• Experienced Member
Newbie with 2 Pekins
« on: July 31, 2011, 19:27 »
Hi everyone. I'm new on here but really enjoying reading the forum and getting som good info.
I aquired these 2 Pekins, one 3 weeks ago the other 2 weeks ago. the first one we found half dead in the garden, got it feeding, got attached so asked the chap at the rear of us about it and he said we could have it!! Just like that, hadn't looked for it or anything. anyway I asked him for to buy another one about same age as it was lonely and he let me have another identical to the first. they are both now about 9 weeks old and the thing is we don't know if they are pullets or young cockerels. We've had to learn about them very quickly via 'net and library. We are now the proud owners of 2 lovely houses for them. One a permanent house and run and the other is an Eglu and run for when they go their hols to friends  ::)
I really am crossing everything that they are girls and not boys as I really don't want to keep any cockerels. We have enough noise from them crowing at the back. If we had one then I'm sure neighbours would have something to say as the ones at the back make quite a din.
If anyone can tell me if they are boys or girls from piks i'd be very grateful
thanks for listening, well reading  :happy:
Anne
Pekin georgie front maisie behind.jpg
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 19:30 by Anndee »

Anndee

• Experienced Member
Re: Newbie with 2 Pekins
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 19:29 »
Some more piks. Do you think they look to be about 9 weeks old or older??
Pekin Georgie & Maisie 1.jpg
Pekin Maisie in front.jpg
Pekin Maisie front on.jpg
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 19:33 by Anndee »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:09 »
not sure, but they are very pretty birds. Hopefully somebody else who has pekins will be along shortly to let you have their opinion  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 13:41 »
No idea about gender I'm afraid but they are lovely.  :)  Here's hoping they are both girls!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:53 »
Hello, I had pekin chicks a few years back and I'd say these are both boys  :( the girls stay very pale pink until they're nearly ready to lay, the boys are red with little wattles and combs by about 8 weeks old. I would say they are possibly about 9-10 weeks but that would be a rusty guess  :)

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 13:41 »
Thanks Charlotte.
I think I've decided to run them both on regardless of what they turn out to be, and I've got 3 nice girls lined up to collect at the weekend. 2 more Pekins and a Wyandotte banty. I know its not enough for 2 males but I'll see if the boys are ok before I do anything as they are, at the moment, inseparable :D and snuggle up together on a night  :blush:
Hey who knows they might not be interested in the girls!!!!!  :wacko:

NormandyMary

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 16:35 »
Whatever they are, they are just gorgeous. I wish I had a neighbour like yours to give me birds.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 19:34 »
Well if it helps I always regretted getting rid of mine, but they went to an amazing home and they are such handsome fellas now! They were similarly marked to yours, bit darker ;) Naughty neighbour for not being fully honest though  :tongue2:

xx
Pekins

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 16:55
by nerdle
xx
Pekins

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 21:37
by jinty1911
xx
Wondering about Pekins?

Started by Khususi on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 19:50
by Evansent
xx
Please talk to me about Pekins (bantams).

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 18:42
by grinling

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 36 queries.