new allotment

• 3 Replies

alexroyall85

new allotment
« on: July 20, 2013, 21:37 »
Hi all

Have just taken on a new bit of land to become my allotment. What's the best way of clearing it as it has a lot of couch grass on it and some smaller weeds.

Was thinking of chemical warfare after giving it a good strim down. Its the only way I can see it happening.

Is this the right route or is there an easier way.

Cheers

Alex

Beetroot queen

Re: new allotment
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 21:48 »
Firstly there is no easy way. Lol  :lol: thats a pipe dream for 99% of us.

We strimmed ours, sprayed and started digging. Once the weed killer had kicked in we covered with black while we carried on digging and digging and digging.

This was one of ours

Its not easy but it can be done. Just keep at those weeds, they do get less over the years.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 21:49 »
There are loads of threads on here about how to clear an allotment.
Personally I used a combination of Glyphosate weedkiller, weed supressing membrane and sheer hard work.

Strim and cover what you don't think you will be able to sort out soon. Glyphosate most of what is left without strimming, and start digging the rest over by fork / hand removing ALL the roots as you go. In a couple of weeks the glyhosated area will have died back and be much much easier to dig over and remove the roots. Finally the covered area will have died off and again be easier to dig over.

Its taken me 4 years to get my plot to nearly where I want it to be, but its worth it. Spending the time now thoroughly removing as much of the weeds as you can will pay dividends in the future.

Good luck.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 22:43 »
Looking at our current weather pattern don't bother with glyphosate until it has rained the plant needs to be in active growth ,you will be chucking money away  :)
I cook therefore I grow

xx
This is my allotment!

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 16:03
by Jeanieblue
xx
new allotment

Started by tommyboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 22:50
by Porffor
xx
No Dig Allotment

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 05, 2015, 10:37
by Mr Dog
xx
We Got an Allotment!

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 21:58
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.