blueberry bush

• 14 Replies

jon_mac

blueberry bush
« on: April 25, 2009, 21:50 »
hi all,
i have a blueberry bush in a large pot and as of yet it is showing no signs of flower. is it still a bit too early or should it have shown signs of life by now? i was wondering if the cold winter may have killed it off? any info or advice much appreciated.

SG6

Re: blueberry bush
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 23:51 »
Not sure where you are but my blueberry has leaves and has flowered, well still has flowers on it but they are going over.

I would at least expect leaves to be showing even if yours was completely different and flowered later.

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:36 »
Do the stems look "green" or are they brown and look dried up?  I noticed a few of my established blueberries had got damaged from the cold winter (like scorch marks) but are still rescueable and have flowers and leaves coming out now.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

harrymac

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 06:33 »
Is the compost it's in wet enough? I've had to give mine a couple of good waterings as they were very dry after last winter. They are now flowering by the way - variety top hat.

Do you know what variety it is and have you checked how hardy it is?

cAnAry53

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 09:06 »
Must admit mine has flowers just going over,looks like a funeral may be in order

Sal1610

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 09:20 »
I have one with flowers, one without, but lots of bright green leaves on both, despite them both sustaining a little bit of frost damage over the winter

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 11:58 »
I thought you needed more than one type to cross-pollinate? One of mine has masses of flowers, the other is just a little behind.

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 12:27 »
My bush is a kind of reddish colour, and just starting to show signs of flowering.  It appears to be doing quite well since I originally potted it in the wrong kind of compost for a whole year!!
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

jon_mac

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 20:36 »
i have it in a pot containing the correct compost. most of the outer stems are dry some tips crumble to touch. however i removed one of the lower branches which was still green in the core. i don't have a single leaf on it yet. wonder if i should cut it back to a few lower established branches, bit like a rose bush?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 10:25 »
I have two in a really wet area of the garden one is in full flower the other slightly behind, they only went in last year  ;)

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 12:36 »
How often are you watering it? I was advised a couple of inches of rainwater a day is good for them - I've been doing that and one - a 2 year old, is in full bloom, the other youger one only has leaves but they're different types so I figure it may just be a later budding variety or too young.

Just a daft question but you're not watering them with tap water are  you?

Dominic

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 15:42 »
My blueberry is alive, but barely, a few small eaves and a few samall flowers is all, everything else, except the gooseberrys planted over winter, is growing like mad.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

siandc

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 21:59 »

Just a daft question but you're not watering them with tap water are  you?

Another possibly daft question... why's that, is it alkaline??

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 01:58 »
Yes, tap water is mostly alkaline. Rain water tends to be more neutral to acidic, which is best for blueberries. As for how much to water them, blueberries love boggy conditions which is their natural habitat.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 14:17 »
hi all,
i have a blueberry bush in a large pot and as of yet it is showing no signs of flower. is it still a bit too early or should it have shown signs of life by now? i was wondering if the cold winter may have killed it off? any info or advice much appreciated.

DID U USE TAPE WATER???? Then the plant won't grow and will look sick, leaves will drop, flowers will drop, and little or no growth. SOLUTION don't use tape water. if u must use tape water then mix some vinegar. Blue berries need acid soil. Tape water is alkaline so the ph level of the blueberry plant soil has become alkaline. So u need to get the ph back to acid levels. U can do this with vinegar or other means. I had the same problem.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 16:17 by karooba007 »

xx
Blueberry bush ID

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2017, 13:31
by Lardman
xx
Blueberry bush

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2024, 10:26
by Snow
xx
Blueberry bush

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 21:13
by Yorkie
xx
Blueberry bush??

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 05:56
by parsley

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 35 queries.