Agapanthus advice please

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

Agapanthus advice please
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:49 »
Mine is planted in a pot.  I bought it last year, and the seller said they like to be in a smallish space. It was in flower when I bought it.  I potted it on this spring into a 26cm terracotta pot, with the correct soil.

It has 7 flower buds, which are just looking as if they might open, the bud tips were beginning to look a bit brownish, so I have moved it into partial shade.   I water it a little each day.

Will it open out, should it be in full hot sun, or partial shade, and does it need a feed now, and if so with what ?  thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Agapanthus advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:39 »
Mine live in 18in terracotta  pots permanently. Every spring I throw some slow-release flower fertiliser on the top and cover with a trowel or 2 of fresh compost.
From mid-Spring they are on the patio so they bake in the heat, but they're watered most days if it is dry. The outside papery flower cover can look a bit dried up before it 'pops' open, but it dies back then anyway, so no harm done.
Before Winter gets too cold I move them against the house wall so they get a little protection from the worst of the weather, that's all the attention they get from me ;)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 19:22 »
Thanks, that has completely answered my questions.  I have noticed today that the papery pod is beginning to split and I can just see blue.  I have moved them back into the full sun now.
What is a good slow release to give them a spring feed.    I used to buy things that looked like lots of tiny pellets all stuck together, they were about  inch diameter and about as long as my thumb.   I used to pop one in each container.  I haven't seen them in the shops now for 2 or 3 years.  Thanks again, Mrs Bouquet

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 20:42 »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:48 »
Thanks Mum, I have written it on my shopping list and in my personal garden book.  I think the ones I used to buy were Westland.   Cheers, Mrs Bouquet

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 14:23 »
Update - 5 flowers now half-open, so thanks for your advice.   Mrs B

xx
Agapanthus advice please

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2021, 12:58
by jezza
xx
Agapanthus ...

Started by wellingtons on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2006, 23:13
by trapper
xx
Agapanthus

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 22:31
by Hey Jude
xx
Agapanthus ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 19:47
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 45 queries.