corn on the cob

• 23 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
corn on the cob
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 09:28 »
I think either they are overdone before you picked them or cooked to long or a combo of both.   With my first batch I harvested them after waiting and waiting expecting them to be the yellow colour from the shops and I then blanched them for 6 mins.  Some of the kernels turned orange and were rock hard and others were OK but starchy. Chucked the whole lot in the end

With the second lot I picked them a little earlier and only cooked for 3-4 mins and they were mostly scrummy.

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
corn on the cob
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:06 »
Ours were quite pale when we harvested them, dropped them in boiling water for no longer than 5 minutes and they came out perfect. If they are hard then it could be leaving them on the plant too long.

Nogger

• Experienced Member
corn on the cob
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 16:24 »
excuse my ignerence but what is this fodder stuff ? new to me,i will try what you said Srebmob bang them on the barbi cheer's :lol:

Big Jen

corn on the cob
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 20:16 »
I cook mine in the microwave.
Leave the jackets on and cook on full power for 3 mins if its a biggish one.
Must have read it on here to cook them like that - really lovely

BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
corn on the cob
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 20:39 »
Quote from: "Nogger"
excuse my ignerence but what is this fodder stuff ? new to me,i will try what you said Srebmob bang them on the barbi cheer's :lol:

There's a variety they grow for animal feed, I only found this out after we had been to the  Wistow Maize
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Angelah

• Experienced Member
corn on the cob
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 14:09 »
I'm with BigJen - read somewhere, pos on here, to leave leaves on and nuke them for 3 min - absolutely gorgeous. Had some last night that I'd frozen a couple of weeks ago, again still with leaves intact, took about 8 min. Hubby was bowled over by how good they were!!!

Last year though was a different matter, and we ended up chucking ours too, they were like rock whether I cooked them for a couple of minutes or half an hour. Last years were sposed to have been mini ones, so maybe not picked at the correct time. I have no idea what this years ones are, they were bought as small plants from the local gardeners sale - they are smaller plants than my mini ones from last year, but full size cobs - whatever they are, am definitely going to be planting more sweetcorn next year.

compostqueen

corn on the cob
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 15:25 »
Had my first sweetcorn today, microwaved for 3 minutes as it was quite big.  Lovely  :D

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
corn on the cob
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 23:15 »
the way to tell according to my mums methods is to poke a skewer into the middle at the end of the cob if it doesnt go in easily it isnt cooked try that to see if it works has always been right for me! :lol:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
corn on the cob
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 06:45 »
Got my grandson interested earlier in the year and he proudly planted 6 sweetcorn.(a bit late and they were not as tall as others on the plot.  Every time I have seen him he was keen to go to the plot and see if they were ready.  As I have never grown them before was a bit apprenhensive - but kept checking on here and made the brave decision to pick them a week ago and also zapped inthe microwave for 3 minutes.  They were delicious (I am told) didnt even get a chance to eat one as too many excited little mouths waiting for them. So will certainly be growing more next year :tongue2:

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
Corn

Started by helen houghton on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2018, 11:44
by lettice
xx
corn on the cob

Started by robert1964 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 21:27
by ziggywigs
xx
corn

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 08:26
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 38 queries.