Soft egg and swollen vent

• 4 Replies

lynnsb

Soft egg and swollen vent
« on: July 29, 2020, 12:19 »
I have 3 young light Sussex hens who have been laying from 19 weeks. The last few days I have only had 2 eggs and this morning there was a soft shell less egg in the coop. I examined all their bottoms for clues and found that one of them had a red swollen protrusion from her back end
 I am assuming she is responsible. Is this a prolapse and has laying the soft egg caused the prolapse or has the prolapse caused the soft egg. What came first, the prolapse or the egg!!! Any ideas of cause and what can I do with her.
Thanks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Soft egg and swollen vent
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 14:59 »
It could be a prolapse, but it is not easy to say without a picture.   I would suggest a vet visit as something is not right.  It might be an abscess and that could be drained and anti-bios administered.  Be warned that for a prolapse, the news is often not good.

lynnsb

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 17:00 »
I had been worrying all day whilst at work and went out and bought some preeration H as I had read somewhere else. When I returned and checked her it was all back to normal.BUT on my return from work today another soft egg and when I checked her, red protrusion again so put her in a warm bath, but it went straight back to normal. What is going on. Do prolapses come and go. She is still very perky and eating eating and drinking ok. Am at a loss. Is it just the soft eggs that are giving her a sore bottom or is she laying the soft eggs because of her bottom?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 10:50 »
The Preparation H trick works as a one off to get a prolapse back in, but that us far as it goes with that.  Prolapses can pop in and out, but if they keep happening, it is a serious health issue for the hen.  It will also encourage pecking by the other hens

If you take pictures of the protrusion next time you see it, it would help a vet to diagnose the problem.  If it is a prolapse that is repeatedly happening on egg laying, the vet will almost certainly recommend you put the hen to sleep. 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 11:27 »
Sounds like a prolapse to me too. We had a hen with one and tried everything we could find to no avail.

Soft shells - make sure they've got plenty of crushed oyster shell or similar available and Netex Vit Boost is very good.
Also look for a product called Shell Aid - ebay or suchlike.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Swollen vent - worried about prolapse

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 09:54
by stef Batterbee
xx
blood from vent and soft egg

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 22:56
by jill247
xx
vent wet

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 13:56
by joyfull
xx
Really Swollen Eye

Started by hazelize_uk on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 18:56
by karlooben

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 45 queries.