BBC 2. The private lives of ....

• 38 Replies

Pretty Chick

Re: BBC 2. The private lives of ....
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 21:09 »
I found it very interesting - it was great seeing the battery hens being rescued.

Yes, it was lovely to see them being taken out of those horrid cages  :). How can they be so cruel to cage them up like that :mad: :(

I didn't like seeing the way the little chicks were shoved around though. :(

That was horrible to see wasn't it?!!! :( All landing on top of each other  :ohmy: :(
All lives are precious.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 21:33 »
I loved the barn that opened straight on to the road from which they were 'dispensing' the ex batts to the queing cars - what a great set up - and the shots of the countryside were lovely.
I just hope the programme will help bring home to people without hen owners  ::) that hens are intelligent animals and it IS cruel to cage them in battery farms.

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 22:24 »
i sky + it and just finished watching it. I thought it was interesting. I didnt like how rough they were with the chicks poor little things being thrown around like that.
1 dog -Chloe 1 cat - Oscar 2 hamsters - Flo and Tinkerbell 3 ferrets - Charlie, chip and rupert 3 light sussex - Madge, Henrietta and lucy-lou 2 black rocks - Peggy and Betty 1 puppy on the way i'm not mad i'm in love. :)

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 22:32 »
Really enjoyed the programme. I always knew that they were intelligent birds, but the way they only pecked open certain shapes covering the mealworms was fascinating. I thought it may have been a bit of a put up job until they showed them in action. But what about the mouse swallower?  :tongue2:

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 23:15 »
Hubby and i watched it, thought it was a brillant programme, i fell in love with Lloyd, bless him, hes one lucky boy, did you see the way he was walking aswell, poor thing,   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Curlytop

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 09:12 »
I sat and watched it twice as my OH missed the first showing, enjoyed it the second time just as much as the first. It makes a change to watch something of interest instead of the usual rubbish I watch.

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 09:16 »
My husband was watching it and he bawled at the top of his voice for me to come and watch it.  I really enjoyed it especially the bit about the shape sorter food dispenser  :D

I can recall recently arguing with the telly when I heard Janet Street Porter saying that all chickens were stupid.  I know now that I was right and that she's a dipstick  :D

My smallest hen was as smart as paint and could outwit the other biggers hens. I suppose nature provides  :)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 13:33 »
Wot did you all think about her introducing one hen to the hospital flock,  and correct me if im wrong, but didnt he at the beginning say thats chickens were the closest living relation to the     T- Rex ???, i thought they were decended from verlosaraptors (sp)  nickyx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 13:50 »
must admit I didn't like the hospital set up unless she has a seperate section for those with serious illnesses - the one she added didn't seem that ill to me - mind you neither did the others  ;)
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 13:53 »
I think it was just for the programme!  Makes her look good!  The programme was a plug for Jane and the BHWT!

Curlytop

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 15:26 »
Surely any programme that makes people aware of how caged hens are treated can't be that bad  :)

Kelloggs

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 15:31 »

I was a bit surprised at the look of the poor broody, did she look pale and a little dirty :(
 but apart from that a good programme

Goldfinger

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 21:51 »

I was a bit surprised at the look of the poor broody, did she look pale and a little dirty :(
 but apart from that a good programme

I spotted her mucky bum too. Is that a signs of worms?? I'd better ask, so I know what to look for, in case my chooks get them as i'm still a bit 'green' at this addictive  :D :D, er, hobby  ??? (can I call it that??)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 22:13 »
Some broody's can starve themselves to death they are so intent on sitting on their eggs, so it's probably not unusual for a broody to look like that.  I have to keep chucking my broody LS and the 2 white silkies out of the nest boxes several times a day, but I lift the LS out and they just sit where I put them!  Even though their mates are outside nibbling the corn or greenstuffs I've just given them!

And they are not even sitting on eggs!!!

I hope the programme does show a few more people the plight of the battery hens, but many more will still go and buy the cheapest eggs, as they don't care about the chickens living conditions.  They'll say after all they are only animals!

Don't get me wrong, I would love every person and animal in this world to have a lovely life, but it will never happen.  All the while there are people who buy the stuff, there are people who will raise it however just for the money.

wildwitchy

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 23:25 »
I noticed the dirty bottom on the broody as well ( recipie for getting flyblown if you ask me) & the man handling of the chicks.

I couldnt watch the bit when they were in the battery farm. I hate to see that.  :mad:

xx
Flo..the chicken with 9 lives!!!!

Started by Carla on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 13:29
by arugula
xx
Who lives in France?

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 22:21
by tode

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 37 queries.