Newbie with ill chicken... Please help.

• 7 Replies

Shoskyns

Newbie with ill chicken... Please help.
« on: July 03, 2012, 12:30 »
Hi All

My children and I have got 3 Orpington Bantams, which are about 25-30 weeks old. We adore them as they are so funny.  They are the first chickens we have owned, so we're very new to this.  One of them has been laying for about a week, but not the other two yet.  They free range around our garden for about 5-6 hours every day.  They have all seemed very well, busy, inquisitive, friendly and happy rushing around the garden all day.

For the last 24 hours I've noticed that one of them is definitely lack luster and not nearly as busy as she usually is.  She seems to be just picking at her food and going slowly around the garden and her poos are very watery - lots of white and only small amounts of dark material. Not sure if this is all her poos or just the odd one as I'm not able to watch her all the time.

I think she might be near laying as her face has become much redder recently, although her comb and wattles are still pretty small. 

The chickens have not been wormed, just had vermex and ACV in water. 

My chickens are not very good at being handled so I'd really like some advice on a) any ideas what might be wrong and (b) if I manage to catch her, what should I be checking and looking at. 

I really hope we can work out what's wrong with the minimum amount of stress as my little boy will be heart broken if we lose her.  She is His pet chicken.

Many thanks for help and advice.

Sarah

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
Re: Newbie with ill chicken... Please help.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 13:10 »
One of the experts will be along soon I've no doubt.....Only four months or so into chicken keeping myself, (and cant imagine life without them now), and had the same problem at the early stages with all 6 of mine - panicked and got straight onto this site as thought I had an imminent death - was advised that it would probably be a soft shelled egg that my girl was about to pass - it was, and once the egg was passed, each girl has been as right as rain.

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 13:40 »
Hi there. My first thoughts would be to worm them with a chemical wormer - vermex is more of a herbal preventative - it is not proven to get rid of worms should your hens have them. Watery poos can be an indication of worms but I imagine it would have to be a very heavy infestation to cause the hen to look unwell like this (I have seen worms in my hens dropping which has meant they have had a heavy infestation yet they have been running around normally, eating well etc).

The best wormer to get and use periodically for your hens is Flubenvet 1% which you can online. It would be worth worming all your hens with this.

I am sure others will be along with more advice soon. Hope she gets better.
Helen

kegs

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 13:48 »
Here's the poop thread so you can compare.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

I would certainly get them wormed and if you preferred you could use the feed with the Flub already added (Marriages do it).

Shoskyns

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 22:12 »
Thank you for your replies.  I've managed to get some flubenvet this evening and have mixed it up ready for the girls to start tomorrow.  Do I need to keep the chickens in their pen while I treat them or can I still let them free range? 

I really hope this helps my girl and she pulls through.

Sarah

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:55 »
It is best to keep them cooped up in order to control completely what they are eating. This advice should be on the worming instructions :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

kegs

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 10:44 »
With the chicken that's ill, especially as she's only picking at her food, it might be worth giving her the dose on something you know she will eat such as a grape, just so you know she's had it.

Shoskyns

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 17:40 »
I am pleased to say that the lack luster chicken has picked up very well and is back to normal.  Still no idea what was wrong with her.  Maybe she ate a bit of plant that didn't agree with her.  Who knows.  I am worming them all, so hope that may keep the little flock healthy.

Thank you so much for the advice.

Sarah

xx
Help for chicken newbie

Started by VikkiSpells on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2013, 18:25
by rosegarden
xx
Newbie on here and chicken run advice please

Started by richinbish on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 22:05
by poultrygeist
xx
newbie chicken advice

Started by andyf75 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 08, 2013, 16:29
by ANHBUC
smiley
Newbie chicken keeper

Started by Dizzee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 20:39
by Dizzee

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 39 queries.