Nightmare plot holders

• 131 Replies

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2008, 09:14 »
This is where she is very clever. I have told her I do not want to speak to her anymore. Her response was "thats fine, I am losing nothing".
This action has made it slightly worse for me because she now goes behind my back and slags me off to other holders. I know other people should be able to make there own minds up but I am stuck in a rather "Traditional" style allotment. The trouble is that when someone like me does things different, it tends to stand out.
Thankfully there are new more modern gardeners starting to join the site that love what I have done with the plot and are going the same way. My problem is that: even if 95% of the site loved what I am doing, the people either side of me DONT. I get on well with the old chap on the other side of me but he has not mixed his words when he tells me how he feels about this new allotment style.
I will not change anything I am doing and I am sure this old bag will get fed up soon, its just nice to vent on here, and reading through the whole thread I am glad its not just me that has to put up with people that cannot keep there opinions to themselves.
In a way I am quite happy to do my own thing and no one talk to me as I enjoy my own company and have no aspirations to be the Jamie Oliver of my allotment.
I sometimes see the people at the other end of the allotment sat having a BBQ and drinks round a table made of pallets and wish that my end was just a little more chilled out. Its all about community spirit and getting on with everyone on most allotments and as much as I like my own company, I would also like abit of that!!!
I am sure if me and my lottymate sparked a bbq up and sat having a drink then we would have compost thrown at us by all the serious growers. I guess we will find out when we do.
I was even told that they don't like radios down there!!!!
Fortunately for me, I love what I have done and have no problem going against the grain.

lincspoacher

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2008, 09:23 »
so if she is saying stuff about you behind your back, all you need is one person to say 'she told me this, and ill bear witness in court to that' and you have the silly bitch then for slander.

The legal definition of slander is:  The oral utterance or spreading of a falsehood harmful to another's reputation.

So plant someone in there, to get talking to her, get to to spout a load of slanderous falsehoods about you, and then you hit her with a solicitors letter and a complaint to the council.  

But dont think you are going to get rid just liek that, the only way you'll win here is to repeatedly hit her with legal actions and official complaints. Keep a diary and start logging incidents.The only way you're going to win here is playing dirty.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2008, 09:31 »
On my new site, its mainly old chaps, some have been there with their fathers and even grandads, one by one as their backs go raised beds are sprouting up as they find them a lot easier to manage, maybe this wind of change will hit your site. On my old site some who do not have gardens do theirs as country gardens with a lawn and flower beds along side veges, some old chaps say it is not how it is supposed to be, to which I tell them to get a furing life, gardening is to be enjoyed and they are enjoying it. Me being the way I am would do more to annoy them, so long as rules are not broken. I have a neighbour on my old site (which I am leaving this year) who is a real door handle head, so the fence I built which he never helps to maintain is going to get burnt, on the sunday he is their  :evil:  in front of him, if says anything he will get a proper gob full, even with this plank I have always enjoyed the site. Make friends with those like yourself are doing things in a modern way.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2008, 09:36 »
This is why I have spoken to the council.
The lady there was quite switched on and said she will go down and chat to "everyone" including my neighbour and if she feels she is out to cause trouble she will deal with it direct. Though I am not sure quite what the council will do about it, I am more than sure they won't chuck anyone off unless its really serious. I am lucky that I have the council lady on my side because I went and saw her face to face and after a bit of my Irresistible charm, she was putty in my hand :oops:
Thanks for the offer of the mussle.

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2008, 09:51 »
I do recall a chat with an old chap who was really nice. He told me that back when he was a child, allotments were peoples life. If they did not grow veg...they did not eat!!!
This is the reason I am comming up against so much resistance. Most of the people at my allotment are of that generation and still grow to eat.

Lets face fact, veg grown by yourself tastes far better, you know whats gone into it, its not come from another country and its fresh....but... you can go to tesco and buy a bag of carrots for around 70p ect ect
We no longer live in war times and food is easyer to get than years ago. I 100% respect the older gereration and they are always the people I go to when I need advise but with the greatest of respect in mind....move on.
I am sure that when it comes to the cars they drive and the TV they watch and even the tools they use in everyday gardening, they have moved on. So why still stick in the mindset of the war years when it comes to allotments???
I am sure not everyone will agree with these comments, but thats whats so great about what was done back in the old days.
We CAN have our own opinions now.

compostqueen

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2008, 10:37 »
it's your plot at the end of the day, no-one else's and you should be entitled to enjoy it.  You can't truly relax if you have this issue irritating you and I hope you manage to get it sorted amicably then you can get on with enjoying growing your own

:)

nothinghasdiedyet

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2008, 10:49 »
I know you probably shouldn't but if that was myself I would be lighting the barbie or at least taking a bottle of chilled white wine down to the guys who already have 1 lit and have a glass of vino and a chat with them.

Its fun

Brian_of_Bozeat

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2008, 10:53 »
There is no need for you to justify what you do on your plot so long as you stay within the rules and by-laws.

remember - It's the same for her too.

Best of luck.
If only we could teach the Slugs to only eat the Weeds, and then the Pigeons to only eat the Slugs!

compostqueen

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2008, 12:03 »
I don't suppose you can get along with all the plotters but most are friendly which is a good thing, and I agree it's great to have a can or two and a glass of wine with like-minded people on the plot of a warm summer's evening  :D

woodburner

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2008, 12:34 »
Imho ygern and she'sinthegraden have given the best advice.
The lady in question is clearly not in complete control of her faculties, so try and remember that, and just humour her, non commitally, in as few words as possible. Uh huh, oh, mmhmm, I see, oh dear, hmm well I need to get back to work or the weeds will be smothering my veg, and turn your back on her and walk away. There's little point in arguing with her, just tell her (if you feel the need) that she's entitiled to her views, but not to waste your time with them.

As to her talking about you behind your back, don't get too paranoid about it, the other plotholders are most likely aware of her 'condition' and just say uh huh, oh, mmhmm, until they can get rid of her too! It sounds as though they are the traditional breed of dig the whole plot every year, regimented rows and quite possibly use sprays, which would surely upset her, so that she has moaned at them too.
Lol, just thought of a way of putting the shoe on the other foot. Spray everything on your plot (while she's there ofc) with a harmless soap spray, or just plain water, and if she shows interest, tell her it's DDT  :twisted:  :lol:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2008, 20:36 »
Seems like this neighbour of yours isn't a full shilling, Tugster. I'd just get on with your own thing and ignore her if it was me...your plot looks fantastic  :D

I've had my plot since last September and after only two weeks one of the commitee members passed a comment to me from another of the committee members that she hoped I didn't keep it all under plastic for a long time...
I thought flippin eck give us a chance I've only just got here! The site was derelict before I took over and covered with weeds/glass/bricks the usual etc. Bet they were complaining about it then anorl   :evil:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2008, 21:09 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Shame you live so far away or I would pay you a visit when she is on  :wink:  I would put her straight, in fact I would get a few mates, some tins and we could have a jolly BBQ, you would probably find she would ask to be moved to another plot.  :lol:  AnaRchY

Aidy I'd love if you could do that at my plot.  I have the most annoying woman as a neighbour.  In fact I think the whole allotment site and my village can't stand her!  She can talk the hind legs off a donkey and she moans about just about anything.  She can't seem to leave my plot alone either.  She apparent sprayed some of it with weedkiller the other day.  Here is me trying not to use chemicals unless I really have too as well.  She was spreading the muck in my compost bin the other day and I asked her not to and she carried on, then she was going to put my rake back and I said leave it out I will use it in a minute and she still put it back.  I think she's known as the local pain in the botty to put it politely.

My trouble is I'm too polite.  I boil over it for a few months/years and then I explode and they never talk to me again.  Hmm now there's an idea maybe I should explode prematurely (now Aidy please don't take that the wrong way as I know you probably will) :bom: .  By the way I like the phrase 'door handle head'  very good.  I know a few of them myself ha ha
Teen

xx
Dealing with bad allotment holders.

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 17:44
by Caddi fuller-teabags
xx
Q for Allotment holders in Kent

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 11:38
by brianc
xx
PH nightmare

Started by screamingcow on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 14:28
by savbo
xx
tesco nightmare!!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 17:50
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 35 queries.