Potato Maggots!!!

• 6 Replies

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
Potato Maggots!!!
« on: July 30, 2011, 22:27 »
Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me!! My hubby and I have recently taken on a really overgrown allotement.  We are getting there with clearing it but have the minimum growing at present.  However the other allotement holders have been so generous and have shared some of their surplus produce Potatos in particular.  Today whilst preparing some for cooking a noticed a small hole in 1 potato, i pealed a bit away and discovered loads for tiny white maggoty things.  I cant find anything to match online so was wondering if any1 can tell me what they are???? Mostly because I want to grow organically and want to be as on the ball as possible with preventative measures on my own plot!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

Old Tom

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato Maggots!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 22:32 »
Can`t help with your problem but wanted to say hello and don`t worry. Someone with more experience will help you out. This is a fantastic site for that! :)
I can remember when it were all fields round `ere.

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 22:47 »
I thought wireworm initially (well after asking my dad, Im clueless otherwise), and found a few on my plot today when digging up an area with grass!!! The larvae pics online didnt seem to match but I will have a look at the cutworm.  They really were tiny little things i nearly didnt see them?? The plot they came from also has black slugs would they have anything to the little blighters!!!

Thanks \\old Tom its my first time on the site and seems good - just been reading some older posts as well :-)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 22:53 »
Yound wire worm can be quite small and white.  They take about 4 years to grow to maturity.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 22:56 »

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 23:12 »
Thanks Aunt Sally,
Im still not sure, they were really short from what I could see of them, they wriggled loads, and seemed to be munching away on the outside of the hole they made (or the slugs made). Im wondering if they maybe are not very old wireworms, there were loads of them. The holes on the outside certainly resemble that of the other images on the links but there was only 1.

xx
MAGGOTS

Started by BADBACK on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 22:26
by Loubs
xx
Pea Maggots

Started by Adam on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 18:30
by peapod
xx
Maggots in my Leeks.

Started by Jay The Digger on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 07:10
by Comfortably Numb
xx
? maggots in my worm wee

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 21:39
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 39 queries.