Young Poorly Chicken

• 3 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
Young Poorly Chicken
« on: September 02, 2009, 11:42 »
I have a chicken about 10 weeks old, a large all white one - not sure of breed or sex as I rescued 6 of them from a petting farm selling them to kids at £1 each :mad:  Once they got too big for kids to fondle they went in the box to be sold as toys.

The rest of them are thriving and are already huge and have run with my other girls from about 5 weeks old without any problems.

the smallest of them has her head sunk into her body and looks very pale with a blue tinge in her head.  She is very quiet and her poo is a strong caramel colour, quite runny with firmer balls in it.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong with her?  I am going to pick up wormer from the vets as a precaution.  When I pick her up she opens her beak as if she cant get enough breath but then makes a bit of noise when I put her down.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

grumpydad

Re: Young Poorly Chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 13:26 »
my book in the diseases section, says that the blueing of the comb can be a sign of avian influenza.
i am sure someone else more experienced will also be aable to give details of something else it may be.
visit to the vet ?

martyn

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 13:37 »
Hi pookey.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

the poo thread (above) is worth a read.

Also, have a read through this thread http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=43452.msg510589#msg510589 in case there's some similarities.
A blue comb can indicate a circulation problem (not surprisingly) but no way of knowing what the underlyign cause is.

Rob 8)

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 14:33 »
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on her.  I think it is probably respitory.

That poo thread is fantastic - very helpful, I always panicked when I saw the red stuff in the poo - turns out its a bit of lining and not to worry if its ocasional!

There does seem to be alot of runny poos around though so I think a good worming is due,

I always struggled to issue meds as my girls were free range and would drink water from around, but after the 4th dog attack I decided they were too at risk and they are in a run now so everything is easier to monitor.

xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by miss_t on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 10:11
by joyfull
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by sorrel on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 18:05
by Vivian
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by Mrs Bee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 19:34
by Mrs Bee
xx
PLEASE HELP - POORLY CHICKEN

Started by Gemjt on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 19:04
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 30 queries.