Not interested atall

• 10 Replies

nzdunn

Not interested atall
« on: June 25, 2009, 17:31 »
4wks tomorrow ive had the girls gees its going so fast, in this time ive been giving the girlies some veggies, corn on the cob but they are just not interested atall, i did give them a bit of leftover mash potatoe and they seemed to like that and they love abit of brown bread as a treat but as for veggies a big no no.    They have there layers in the morning and after dinner i give them some mixed corn before bedtime and they seem more than happy with this,  they are on a very grassy area so i presume they are getting lots of grass to eat, it doesnt matter if they dont get veggies does it then.      nickyx

Caralou

Re: Not interested atall
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 19:32 »
Only treats mine liked was when they stole my friends ham sandwich  :ohmy: Other than that they don't seem keen on anything other than the plants kept away from them on my patio. They are happy enough with pellets and corn as well so just leave them to it  :D

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 19:44 »
Chooks are a bit like people in the fact that their tastes change as they get older. It took six months before mine would eat worms, nine months before they would eat cooked peelings , they have gone off strawberries and will never eat sweet potato or apple.
Fussy little so and so`s. :)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 19:52 »
Mine are very fussy as well, worse than the kids! They've turned their nose up at corn on cob, veggies, slugs, caterpillars...... They do like a handful of wild bird seed before bed, and they graze around the garden several times a day. They seem quite content with their growers pellets and are thriving, so I wouldn't worry too much.

wildwitchy

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 21:01 »
I wish mine were like that - my garden has been decimated and I can't eat outside if eating for fear of being mugged of it! Noting edible is sacred with my lot. Ganets the lot of 'em.

Caralou

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 21:15 »
They can't get at me when eating if I close the gate (which I had to have dad put in to stop them getting at my patio). They do all stand there looking at me squawking though. They won't eat it if I give it to them, but if they steal it well that's a different matter..... just like the cats!!! :lol:

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 22:02 »
Mine just started mugging the two year old for his biscuit, poor boy - mind it serves him right for chasing them round the garden for so long :D

lina

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 21:48 »
Other than the mash, the ex bats favourite foods are:
Worms, couscous, pasta or bread, watermelon, fat hen, grass, cabbage, apple, tomato and cucumber.  They are developing such sophisticated tastes they are now getting fussy about eating the slugs! Especially those brown/orange frilly ones from the 'lotty which are the size of mice and seem a bit gooey :tongue2: Yuck.

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 19:22 »
Mine like just about everything  :) Our Meadowsweet Bluebelle, Gracie, tried downing a dead baby bird  :tongue2:. She gave up in the end. One of our elderly cats has a sensitive stomach and before they had their own enclosure they used to follow her around waiting for her to be sick  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: I think she got a bit paranoid with them staring into her face.

Mine like, bananas, cat biscuits (soaked if too big to swallow safely), corn, bird seed, peanuts, bread, toast, cooked rice, boiled potato peelings, tomatoes and any veg,.......I could go on and on  :happy:
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:43 »
the secret with chickens is that they only like what they're not allowed  ::)

so if you want them to eat it, surround it with a flimsy fence that they can actually get through and tell them they must not touch it.

:tongue2:

Caralou

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 14:03 »
the secret with chickens is that they only like what they're not allowed  ::)

so if you want them to eat it, surround it with a flimsy fence that they can actually get through and tell them they must not touch it.

:tongue2:

Yep!!! Mine mugged me for strawberries yesterday. They wouldn't touch the cabbage leaves I put out for them, but stole the leaves from the bunnies' pen instead  ::)

moved
MOVED: anyone interested?

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 13:15
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Rare Breeds Sale if your interested

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2007, 19:38
by slowef

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 38 queries.