Clear it or leave it?

• 2 Replies

Elcie

Clear it or leave it?
« on: December 15, 2008, 18:39 »
Hi everyone, looking for some advice please.

I was a newbie in July last year when I got my plot.  Bought some small cauliflower, sprouts and PSB plants from the local garden centre and put them in a raised bed.

A few months on, I now know two things.  One, I planted them way too close (the sprouts have taken on a purple tinge to being too close to the PSB!) and two the caterpillars and slugs beat me (lots of holes!)

Because of a combination of the two above I haven't had anything worthwhile to eat from the bed and I'm assuming that I won't now.

My question is, should I leave the plants in the bed to suppress weed growth or are they just leaching the soil?  If I leave they look messy, if I clear I have access to chicken poop/top soil/straw mix that I can put on top of the bed.

So, clear or leave?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Clear it or leave it?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 19:30 »
Clear it, get digging that mix in and if you want to avoid the weeds then get some weed supressant fabric or black plastic
The better the soil quality the better your plants will grow next year,plus you've learnt by mistakes made this year and can remedy it next year

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

paintedlady

Clear it or leave it?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 19:30 »
Keep the PSB as it will definitely sprout in spring regardless of how tatty it looks now!!!!  Not too sure of the cauli and sprouts - perhaps you could thin them out (or even replant - it is after all, winter, so the move should not be too big a shock)  :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
Apple drop. To clear or not to clear?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 21:03
by Growster...
xx
Bug Clear...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 21:27
by Growster...
xx
Best way to clear ivy?

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 20:11
by RJR_38
xx
What do onions leave behind ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 17:19
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 38 queries.