Using a Mantis.

• 32 Replies

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
Using a Mantis.
« on: May 20, 2009, 17:56 »
I've gone and spent some money :wacko: on a Mantis Tiller which I've been trying out on my allotment this afternoon. I think it is really great and I imagine it can perform all sorts of tasks. So far I have used it in digging mode and reversed the tines for weeding mode. I ran it down between my rows of potatoes and it seemed to throw the soil up and bank them a bit. Great!

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get the best out of a Mantis? Any special methods, etc?

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
Re: Using a Mantis.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 19:40 »
They are a great little machine  :)

Sounds like you've got the hang of it  ;)
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

aubergine

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 19:51 »
Which one do you have? 2 or 4 stroke?

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 20:39 »
I went for the 2 stroke. I did consider the pros and cons of 2 stroke v 4 stroke and decided 2 was right for me. I'm very pleased with it!

Some of the long established allotment holders came over to see me starting it up, etc and they had nothing but praise for the Mantis. They did mention that someone else on our allotments has got one and he can bank a row of potatoes in seconds. They were even more enthusiatic when I told them I got it for £199 brand new!

Penfold

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 21:44 »
I'm pondering a purchase and which is the best piece of equipment... what difference does 2 stroke have over 4 stroke etc....?

Is it simply a case of economy vs not mixing fuel?

any advice appreciated...

cheers....seriously confused mouse.

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 22:29 »
Well, first off, I borrowed a large & therefore very heavy, 4 stroke, rotavator from my friend. I checked the oil, filled it with fresh petrol & then wrestled it around the allotment until it blew up due to having used all its' oil. The larger rotavator was hard to use and impossible to lift in and out of my vehicle without help. The Mantis I got today has its' oil pre-mixed in the fuel (which took about 30 seconds) and I can lift it with one hand. It digs 10 inch deep and really works the soil to a fine tilth very quick.

A four stroke will last a lot longer, but is it really important when I'm only going to use the Mantis for about 10 hours per year? Fuel economy is good. I did about 30 square metres, to 10 inch deep on half a tank (0.2 of a litre).

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 15:02 »
I've got the 4-stroke Mantis - which I presume is more or less the same weight as the 2-stroke.

In general I think that 4-strokes are easier to re-start when hot.

Other than that I have a large garden :) so quite a lot of work for it.

Easiest to walk backwards, and use it side-to-side.  its a bit like digging, really, create a trench across the plot, then step back one step and turn the next section into the previous trench, thus creating a new trench, and so on.

When i used to hire a rotavator, once or twice a year, the soil was never "just right".  Now I own a Mantis I can do it whenever it suits me and conditions are right.

For any new ground I want to break, or a really large job, I'd be happy hiring a bigger machine - with the Mantis I just can't see the need to own a bigger machine.

All my beds were prepared and ready much earlier this year than previously, and it has been a joy to plant out into nice fluffy soil, instead of having to use a crowbar!

Unlike a larger rotavator it doesn't leave a levelled surface, its a small machine, and I get peaks and troughs of soil which then have to be levelled and spread about a bit.

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 21:57 »

Unlike a larger rotavator it doesn't leave a levelled surface, its a small machine, and I get peaks and troughs of soil which then have to be levelled and spread about a bit.

I made a harrow several years ago, originally to be pulled by a Templer Tiller, but  now pull it with a length of rope. It levels the ground well and will also pull out any roots. It has 11 tines. See it on my website:-  http://erowell.co.uk/Gardening/Tillers.html

shaun

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 06:39 »
for weeding between the rows etc i turn the tines around (weeding mode if you like) and on half revs walk forward slowly.if you walk backwards it digs itself in.you only need to be scratching the top inch or so when weeding.
brilliant little machine  8) 8) 8)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

kah22

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 14:36 »
This is my first post and really it's because I've also bought a Mantis about four weeks back (four stroke, didn't want to mess with mixing oil) and I'm just Googling for hints on how to get the most out of the machine, so please share.

for weeding between the rows walk forward slowly.if you walk backwards it digs itself in..

Thanks for that hint Shaun I was walking the machine backwards myself - any other tips on weeding.

It strikes me that if you don't have anything planted in your beds over winter then three or four times during winter (when frost is expected) it would be a good idea to turn the ground over, should kill off a lot of weeds.

Kevin

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 21:23 »
Hi Shaun
How wide do the rows need to be to weed with the mantis.
always have a target
and an objective.

shaun

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 22:11 »
i space mine just enough to walk down about 16"-18" for general stuff and 24" for spuds,I have only used the howard a handfull of times this year.I remove one of the tines for fiddley bits  ;)

heres a few pics from a few weeks ago

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 06:41 »
Looking good Shaun
I thought you would be spacing about 6"or 8" with the mantis.

shaun

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 06:46 »
Looking good Shaun
I thought you would be spacing about 6"or 8" with the mantis.

i would frankie but i have got big feet  ;)

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 21:43 »
Im short of cash at min but this seems like a good machine.  Is there anything similar but cheaper?

xx
Mantis

Started by Steveharford on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 20:57
by Growster...
xx
help with Mantis please.

Started by Spana on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 22:47
by Spana
xx
Mantis

Started by mick on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2006, 06:02
by Gwiz
xx
We're getting a Mantis.

Started by Goneterseed on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 23:34
by Goneterseed

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.