Sweetcorn?

• 5 Replies

Lily

Sweetcorn?
« on: April 06, 2007, 22:30 »
I have sweetcorn seeds. Is it better to start them indoors or in the unheated greenhouse. Or should I wait and sow them in the ground later on as advised on packet?
Do not underestimate the therapeutic values of weeding!
1 dog, 2 children, 3 good reasons not to spread poison!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Sweetcorn?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 22:34 »
I usually sow mine in toilet roll middles filled with compost as they aren't keen on having their roots disturbed, but 2 years ago, I did that, plus I planted some direct, and both ways worked.  

Last year I put them in a spot that is lower than the rest of the veg patch and it kept too damp and they didn't do well at all..

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Sweetcorn?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 22:41 »
Unheated greenhouse is what is usually have done in the past.  they germinate quickly without heat.  In cells or pots or or as grannie does so that the roots don't get disturbed.

Dan

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 23:53 »
Im wondering the same lily? wether to start mine off indoors or plant in the ground?
I have this dilemna with all my seeds right now?...start now or in the ground later.....im sooo scared about it all because i spent £30 on seeds and im scared im going to balls it all up and end up with nothing :(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Sweetcorn?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 00:04 »
I've found chitting (pre-germinating) really successful Strangely enough I've just posted about this in my diary (follow the link at the top of the page)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:28 »
Quote from: "Dan"
Im wondering the same lily? wether to start mine off indoors or plant in the ground?
I have this dilemna with all my seeds right now?...start now or in the ground later.....im sooo scared about it all because i spent £30 on seeds and im scared im going to balls it all up and end up with nothing :(

50/50  I've been planting half of my seeds now in pots, but still have half incase something happens to the first lot.

BTW I was convinced that the toms we sowed on 1st Jan would never do so I made 2 more sowings in Feb and March justincasey!  The Jan ones are superb stocky green leafy plants now so I'll have plenty more to give away.  I'm lining up friends at work now :) and warning them not to BUY tom plants! & That's after I'll have supplied my mum and sis!

Little and often I reckon.  I've beeen moving things out in stages too.  Checking the first survive before putting more out.

Good luck!  :)
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 12:05
by Riala
xx
First go at sweetcorn, help!

Started by skewball on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 19:33
by lesley1322
xx
sweetcorn help

Started by dizzylizzie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 11:53
by dizzylizzie
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by thatruddyvicar on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 17:57
by Thephoenix572

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 34 queries.