Soft shelled egg

• 6 Replies

Debz

Soft shelled egg
« on: September 10, 2008, 13:37 »
I have a hen with a bit of a moult on.  This morning she laid a soft egg.  Could these two things be related?  She is a 25 week warren and has laid every day since I got her at 20 weeks.  She is in a large run with 2 other girls (who are both fine).  They get layers pellets, a range of greens and other veg and have access to grit and oyster shell all day.  Is there anything else I can do for her?  She doesn't seem to be any different from the days that she lays a normal egg.

compostqueen

Soft shelled egg
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 13:43 »
It seems from reading threads on here that this is very common, and from what you say, you have all the angles covered. One of mine was not very well recently as she was laying softies so I gave her one drop of cod liver oil a week on a bit of bread (give it to the others too  :D )  Limestone flour was recommended as a food additive, and if the hen got worse then I was to try a calcium liquid, but she picked up and has been fine since so I didn't have to get it.  I do give the hens live yogurt at least once a week as they adore it so you could try that  :D

I  suggest you read the threads on here on this subject as many people have written about it, so you're not alone  :D

Vember

Soft shelled egg
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 13:56 »
Think CQ has covered everything :)

Birds moult so diffrently, I have 3 adult Buff Orps (sisters) just a year old and one looks like an ex- bat she's moulting that bad  :(  But she's eating and drinking ok, and that's what counts :)

The only other thing I give them when moulting is cat food, gives them a bit of extra protein :)

Sarah :)

swynne

Soft shelled egg
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 22:12 »
Hi
You could always try herban, a natural remedy to boost a hens immune system.

We have a commercial free range laying farm and regularly get soft shelled eggs.

The usual problem is the lack of calcium in their diet. You say you have oyster shell for them, perhaps try mixing it in with the feed. Our hens have a layers crumb with added oyster shell ensuring they get all the nutrients they need.

You could also try cider apple vinegar, another natural remedy good for laying hens.

Hope this helps.

compostqueen

Soft shelled egg
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 23:58 »
thanks for the Herban tip. Not heard of that one til now  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Soft shelled egg
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 15:46 »
I woould have thought her a bit young to be moulting  :?

Are you sure she's not being feather pecked by the other hens  :?:

Debz

Soft shelled egg
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 10:07 »
Many thanks for all your advice and support.  I did give the girls some live yoghurt and normal service has been resumed.  Not sure what caused her blip in laying but happy to see eggs that are back to normal.

xx
Still getting soft shelled egg

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 23:40
by MontyTom
xx
Still getting a soft shelled egg every other day

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2007, 22:05
by Aunt Sally
xx
soft shelled egg

Started by Kiwi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 20:19
by Kiwi
xx
Soft Shelled eggs

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 08:20
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 38 queries.