Cabbages

• 11 Replies

skywalker

• Experienced Member
Cabbages
« on: May 10, 2010, 15:22 »
How late can I sow cabbages. I was going to get them off to a start in my new greenhouse if its not too late then plant out as soon as I think they can hold their own with the slugs  :)
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cabbages
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 15:43 »
cabbages do not need the warmth of a greenhouse!  :ohmy:

Most autumn and winter cabbages are sown May/June I think. I haven't started mine yet, I've got too much other stuff hanging about because of the late season ::)

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 17:05 »
It wasnt for the warmth I'm just sick of the slugs munching through my seedlings before they have chance so I was going to give them a head start to see if they could fend of the slugs with a few more leaves?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 17:08 »
More leaves = more slug food.

The plants won't fend off slugs on their own, they'll need help, organic or otherwise.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 17:11 »
Have a browse in Wilko at the various cabbages, or on Fothergills website, for the sowing times. I'm sure there are some cabbages to be sown now. You can do them in the unheated greenhouse to give them a head start, say in a seed tray and them pot them on into modules for planting out when they're a bit bigger. They will sulk though if they get too warm so don't leave them in there on a hot day and don't forget to water them  :)

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 17:43 »
Now I've got a picture of cabbage soldiers lining up to take on the slugs  :) My point was that rather than see them destroyed instantly as seedling I would give them a head start. That way if (when) they are attacked by slugs I might have half a chance of intervening and them still surviving. Surely this could be a valid point or am I completely on my own here :wacko:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 17:48 »
can't get my cabbages going this year - I have started them off 3 times since the beginning of March. Each time they germinate then keel over. Had no problems over the last few years so I'm scratching my head a bit  :blink:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 17:54 »
The point that we're trying to make is that the slugs will eat the cabbages, whatever size they are when planted out, and right into the hearts, if you don't use something to stop the slugs  :(
Getting them a bit bigger is a good idea, but, use either slug pellets, organic or ordinary ones...the choice is yours....or something like beer traps, anything to give the cabbages a fighting chance.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 17:57 »
Now I've got a picture of cabbage soldiers lining up to take on the slugs  :) My point was that rather than see them destroyed instantly as seedling I would give them a head start. That way if (when) they are attacked by slugs I might have half a chance of intervening and them still surviving. Surely this could be a valid point or am I completely on my own here :wacko:

Surely you are being too patient young Skywalker! Unless you have reason to think your plot is a slug-free zone (unlikely!) then you will have to do something about them anyway, so why wait?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 20:37 »
can't get my cabbages going this year - I have started them off 3 times since the beginning of March. Each time they germinate then keel over. Had no problems over the last few years so I'm scratching my head a bit  :blink:

damping off? I have a lot of problems with this, but not normally with brasiccas.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 22:14 »
I hear what you are saying but its just so frustrating to wait weeks for seedlings to appear only to see them destroyed overnight by them pesky slugs. I have beer traps on the lotty and have previously used slug pellets but didnt really like the idea as I didnt really know what they contained. I can assure you my plot is anything but slug free and I'm not expecting to grow anything without any slug control just dont like the idea of the pellets and beer is a scarce commodity in our house as any alcohol is reserved for drinking  :)

andy135

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 22:18 »
Cut the tops off plastic lemonade bottles and place then over your young plants untill they get established.  :)

xx
NOT my cabbages

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 23:33
by mumofstig
xx
cabbages

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2017, 18:21
by rowlandwells
xx
Cabbages

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 13:30
by splodger
xx
Cabbages

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2016, 16:29
by Flowertot

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 40 queries.