Help with my Little Tomatoes

• 11 Replies

LeahJean

Help with my Little Tomatoes
« on: May 10, 2011, 19:51 »
Does this spotting and transparent sploching look like anything you've seen before? Any help would be appreciated.
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

LeahJean

Re: Help with my Little Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 19:56 »
Here is a closer up photo. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
photo.JPG

LeahJean

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 20:02 »
A little more info:
The plants are about 3-4 weeks old. I'm growing brandywines and sweeties. The problem is happening on both. I have grown everything from seed in high quality potting soil, so I am dubious of nutrient deficiency or pest issues, but it has to be something, right? I was spritzing them with water and am wondering if it burned the leaves under the lights? It seems to be mostly on the older leaves. Although the problem seems to be getting worse over the past 2 days and I have not been spritzing them. Help please, I love these little guys and want to see them flourish!

Kajazy

• Experienced Member

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 20:07 »
I'm now feeling my age; don't know what "spritzing" is when it comes to tomatoes (or anything else for that matter!)

I also don't know what sort of lights you are using but I do know that wetting the leaves of almost any plant is usually not a good idea if it can be avoided!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

LeahJean

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 20:10 »
Maybe Magnesium deficiency?

http://pmo.umext.maine.edu/ipddl/clinicimages/Tomato/Tomato%20Mg%20deficiency.jpg

If it were magnesium defficiency then would there be spots that were blown right through and nearly transparent? If so will feeding them with a 15-15-30 solution help or do I need to suppliment with something else?

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 20:12 »
Erg! I'm a complete novice I'm afraid - hopefully someone with a bit more wisdom will be on soon...

LeahJean

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 20:13 »
I'm now feeling my age; don't know what "spritzing" is when it comes to tomatoes (or anything else for that matter!)

I also don't know what sort of lights you are using but I do know that wetting the leaves of almost any plant is usually not a good idea if it can be avoided!  :)

I am using a 54 W 5022 lumen 48" sunblasterT5H0. Spritzing is spraying them with a little mist bottle. I thought it would be good to keep them clean and simulate the rain outside, but now I am keeping them dry! Thanks for the advice!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 20:48 »
I am using a 54 W 5022 lumen 48" sunblasterT5H0. Spritzing is spraying them with a little mist bottle. I thought it would be good to keep them clean and simulate the rain outside, but now I am keeping them dry! Thanks for the advice!

Good idea to keep the leaves dry (tomato plants need plenty of water but wetting the leaves can increase their vulnerablity to blight.)  :)

TheSpartacat

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 20:53 »
I doubt its magnesium deficiency this early on in their growth- I'm pretty certain its leaf scorch.
Water the soil and not the plant, and I would also raise the lights so they're further away from the leaves too?! It looks very close....

LeahJean

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 22:17 »
How far from the leaves should the light be? Thanks

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 23:36 »
LeahJean.... Sorry but I think I might have missed something here although I have read all the way through this thread.  ::)

I think the spotting is due to water on the leaves as has been suggested... but what ever it is the plants will most likely grow out / away from it given reasonable growing conditions.

What I'm not sure about is why you are using a grow-lux style light for them.  :blink: It seems a bit costly when you could stick them near a window or, if it's warm as it is in many parts at present, plonk them outside in the sun during the day.

Are you in a huge rush to have tomatoes a week or two early?

Having another think  :wacko: Might it be that the wave length of the lighting tube you are using is not providing near enough to natural light or the light that they require?

I find it so much easier, cheaper and Greener to let the sun do the job.  ;)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 23:40 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Tomatoes tomatoes tomatoes

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 11:12
by BabbyAnn
xx
Please look at my tomatoes!

Started by igorina on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 23:39
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Where did my tomatoes go?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 08:50
by mumofstig
smiley
Tomatoes

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 22:13
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 37 queries.