Some help needed!

• 17 Replies

Dig2Grow

Some help needed!
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:15 »
Hallo!  I'm sure I will have a few more questions as things progress but firstly, I have finally managed to procure an allotment after three years of waiting.  Unfortunately, although it was well looked after it has been allowed to go to seed this year, so I am presented with a large plot covered in very long grass, gone to seed onions and some rather lovely summer raspberries.  My question is - should I rotavate the grass into the earth, put some manure and cover it with plastic sheeting? Strim the grass back and use weedkiller, and plastic sheeting?  Or what?  Due to the rain, school hols and having to work full time, I am now on my six weeks notice which is very embarrassing on my first allotment.   So, some help now I am ready to get stuck in would be much appreciated so I can redeem myself! Thank you very much.
Just perhaps, I have taken too much on!

mattwragg94

Re: Some help needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:45 »
my advice would be not to use the rotavator, as they will only add to your problems by spreading the weeds. I would cover the plot in plastic, cardboard etc, and then i would dig it over by hand - it takes time, but in the long run it will save you time!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:32 »
Yup - cover your plot but, if the onions are not worth using, then get them up, turn the soil over and get some winter veg plants from a (reliable) garden centre and plant them with some bonemeal or blood, fish and bone to get them started. This is so you have actually got something planted, rather than just covering the whole lot up, as some allotment committees state it has to be in a state of cultivation - have a word with them and see if they think this is acceptable. As you received it in a good state, you will need to show your committment and ability to return it to a viable plot.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 14:07 »
Hi there Dig2Grow and welcome

Don't be daunted by the state of your plot -- tackle a bit at a time and either plant or cover the ground up afterwards for each section.

If you have a look in the GYO button above and scroll down, there is lots of advice from John on how to deal with just what you are facing.

Iiwm, I would use a fork rather than rotavator, as rotavators are good at chopping up weed roots and replanting them for you  :lol: :lol:

Would you mind adding your location in your profile please, as this will help with responding to your next posts -- conditions vary hugely across our membership?

You might also like to post in the Welcome section to introduce yourself, and get  aproper welcome from others.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

SG6

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 16:59 »
If you are on a 6 week notice then really you do not have time to cover then dig, the covering part is reliant on time and that is in short supply.

I would dig up the raspberries and put to one side, strim and get rid of all the stems etc,  then use glyphosphate weed killer on the rest. Take care for over spray.

Perhaps do not spray say a one or two yard strip across the plot and dig this over to remove weeds etc. Then replant the raspberries in this area.

That way the main growth is gone, the remaining weeds are sprayed and you have a strip dug over with something growing in it.

The glyphosphate takes about 10-14 days to have effect and show results. After that dig over a strip pf however wide you can at regular intervals.

To "show" something in then perhaps a few fruit bushes - blackcurrent, redcurrent, or if vegetable are prefered then buy some overwintering onions.

It may be acceptable to cover half the plot and to get control of the remaining half. but suggest you clarify first. Do not want to say do this then you lose the plot.

Perhaps once strimmed and sprayed you could get an edging tool (semi-circular thingy) and just sharpen the edges of your plot so it is well defined. Not difficult and it would improve the appearance.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 19:02 »
Good suggestions there from SG6, but if you do strim then weedkill, make sure that there are some actively growing leaves before you spray - the chemicals work by being absorbed through the leaves.  Don't strim so far down that there are no leaves left and none have been allowed to start regrowing before spraying.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dig2Grow

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 07:26 »
Thank you very much everyone for your kind responses.  I did feel rather guilty letting it go wild, but yesterday my husband strimmed it to about 3/4inches high, my daughter and I did the edges, and trimmed the paths in between.  And now it looks as though something is happening.  One bed got the weed treatment and porous black membrane over the top, the bed I had done at the beginning of the summer looks ready to have things planted in it.  One or two of the other allotments there looked far worse than mine!!  Chatting to others there, I believe I have to plant turnips, Broad Bean a bit later on, and might get away with potatoes for Christmas, but that will be a whole other thread.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 08:39 »
Christmas potatoes are really a greenhouse or polytunnel crop Dig2Grow as you have to keep them frost free.

On the up side, borad beans are definately one to consider and you could also plant overwintering onions, shallots and garlic as previously suggested. 

Just keep plugging away with the clearance.  As also previously suggested, getting clarification on exactly what they define as under cultivation is a good idea.  There is a limit to what you can plant now, but if they accept covering the ground ready for planting next spring, that will take the pressure off  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 09:27 »
Glad you are getting to grips with it all Dig2Grow  :)

Welsh Merf

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 09:58 »
Bonjour Dig2Grow!

I am in exactly the same position as your good-self. I've got a new, unused plot - nothing has been grown on it before. The local town coucil had this dude on a ride-on mower cut it all down for me, but that's it. I've also been informed that the ground has been compressed by vehicles in the past. I had a go at digging it last week, but bent the stainless-steel blade of the spade in the process. IT IS DAMN HARD!

So, after taking advice from some "old hands" I have sprayed it with glysophate weed-killer, and when it has all died down I will set it on fire (as suggested). Afterwards, I will get the "bad boy" rotovator on it, and when that's done I will cover it all with a thick layer of horse manure and leave it over winter. Just before planting in the spring I will rotovate it again. In the meantime through the winter, I will get the associated hardware in place: fences, shed, water tanks, etc.

I have had many different kinds of advice, all very kind and helpful, but I have decided to go on the advice of the people who have grown successfully on that allotment. I'm guessing that they probably know best about the ground conditions, etc.

Like I said, I'm also new to this game, so my decision could well be the wrong one. You've got to do what suits your ground best, given all the advice available. It's your call at the end of the day!

The very best of luck to you, and I'm sure you'll work things out in time.

I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 14:46 »
Welsh Merf - just check with whoever that you can have a bonfire, and take precautions that it doesn't spread to other areas. Good Luck!

SG6

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 17:17 »
On the assumption that making it, or a reasonable bit of it, look used is the key aspect at this time then turnips will do something but not a lot, tried some a few weeks back and really prety poor. There may be a variety that is better. Also I think the idea with them at this time is to get them to germinate, grow and bit and use as small veg.

Radish is another that may sprout at this time and do something.

Overwintering onions, seed or sets would make a couple of rows.

Another thing to throw in is garlic, for the cheap approach some good ones from a veg market could be used. Say this as I have had better success from Sainsbury garlic then any purpose bought ones. So not exactly keen to say go get some from a supplier.  I have gotten to the state of deciding agains the supplier varieties this year.

As I say that would make it appear good, and get you going.

Ask others on the site for suggestions.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 20:02 »
Hi Goosegirl

It was the Vice-Chairman of the Allotment Association that suggested the bonfire, and he'll be giving me a hand to keep it under control. There were two such bonfires going on there the other day.

Dig2Grow

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 20:53 »
The Allotment Chief Man from the council is coming round on Friday to see if I have done enough to warrant keeping the plot.  I have strimmed, three of the first four beds have been weedkillered (sorry) and covered in tarps, the third has been strimmed and I was going to dig it over but run out of time.  The second set of four beds behind the rather yummy raspberry bushes - which have fortified me on my travails - two have been part dug (two people digging two beds) and the other two strimmed and left at the mo.

So, out of eight beds, 3 are cleared and ready to be dug over and planted (although I think I will manure them and leave them until next spring) one is ready to be dug over or more weed killer, two are half done, and two are a work in progress. 

I hope that is enough to please him.  Looking at some of the other plots there are far worse than mine.  I don't know whether to call him before.  Wish me luck!!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 21:03 »
Good luck with Friday, sounds like you have done really well in the time.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Ok help needed

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 25, 2014, 06:35
by Beetroot Queen
xx
ID needed please.

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 18:52
by tosca100
xx
help needed please

Started by jenjen88 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 22:39
by Yorkie
xx
Help needed again sorry !!

Started by spade or shovel? on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 21:18
by rainbow1

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 36 queries.