long white thread-like worms

• 18 Replies

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« on: June 01, 2008, 16:21 »
They're poking out of the soil and swirling round and round, quite long too, up to about 5 inches maybe. Just look like white threads, anchored in the soil & swirling in the breeze but there isn't any breeze today, any ideas?
Also a yellow one pulled itself out of one of my containers and curled itself up like a tiny worm cast. Never seen either of these before.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 16:26 »
pictues if you can mate will help :) sound likr wire werm :(
still alive /............

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 16:35 »
I would if I could muntac but my techno  know-how don't stretch that far yet sorry. I've googled wireworm, not them. These are like lengths of almost transparent white cotton thread, tendrils on dwarf pea plants are thicker.

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 16:48 »
try googling eel worm  :wink:

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 16:54 »
Sounds like white worms, which are used to feed tropical fish. They also like to live in compost. These are harmless. No idea what the yellow one is.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 18:35 »
No not eelworm, I've read about whiteworm trillium but don't think so. Looking further in google I've found horsehair worm which if these are they, they're not a bad idea at all! They are parasitic in among other creatures, slugs & snails, killing their host when they emerge through their abdomen. They parasite crickets, cockroaches and other pests. They are harmless to humans, animals and vegetation, here's hoping  :D

gobs

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 19:39 »
Any thread worm of that size, really, as far as my knowledge goes... :roll:  :roll:

Wash hands well, after gardening, just in case. :wink:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mwvegetarian

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 21:15 »
Hi - I just registered with this forum today.   Earlier today I discovered thread-like worms in my newly planted veggie garden soil.  They are 3 to 5 inches long and twist in the air as if searching for something to wrap around.  They resemble thin translucent pea plant tendrils.  When touched by a twig, they immediately coil around it.   I live near Chicago, IL USA. I Googled a query about these worms and thereby found this forum.   This is the first year that I have used mushroom compost in my garden plot.  I wonder if the compost was properly cured.  Perhaps the horse manure in the compost was infested.  ??  I am concerned about the worms infesting my fruits and vegetables - and all who eat them.  I look forward to reading the experiences of others with these creatures.
mwvegetarian

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 21:34 »
Hi MWV

Welcome - all the way from Chicago!

I have absolutely no idea what these worms are, but a piccie of them would be great as they sound so acrobatic as to be fun to look at  :wink:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

pushrod

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 22:26 »
nematodes?
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

triciabar

Could this be your worm?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 06:14 »
I saw some tonight in the puddles by the compost bin...I searched the internet looking for descriptions that might help and found this article below...I've never seen these before!

Horsehair Worms
Jeff Hahn, Assistant Extension Entomologist

Horsehair worm

Periodically, people find long, very thin worms in their gardens or in their homes during the summer. These creatures are a type of nematode known as horsehair worms. They are pencil lead thin being no more than 1/25 - 1/16 inch in diameter. They are typically several inches long, although they can be growth to be as large as 14 inches. They range in color from white to tan to black.

When immature, horsehair worms parasitize large insects, such as crickets or grasshoppers. When they emerge as adults, they become free-living and can be found on plants. They are also attracted to water and are commonly found in puddles. They originally got their name because when they were found in horse troughs, they resembled strands of horse hair.

Indoors, it is not uncommon to find one in a toilet. This often startles residents as they may imagine that this could be some type of a human parasite. Fortunately, they are harmless to people and pets. No control is necessary for horsehair worms found outside or inside and they should just be ignored.

triciabar

And by the way...
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 06:19 »
I'm still not convinced that what I saw fit the horsehair worm description...much like the Chicago poster, the worms I saw were swirling out of the ground toward the sky...really freaky...and thinner, much thinner than a pencil led...definitely more like the pea plant tendrils...the children were terrified since they just learned about parasites in the soil in school!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 06:46 »
I've just had a google around and they do sound like horsehair worms.

What amazing things we learn on these forums  :shock:

Ruby Red

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 12:10 »
Someone posted a picture on here this week I think showing a picture of a leaf with a long white stringy thin worm on. Can anyone find it.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Ruby Red

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 12:14 »
Sorry I cant post it on here but the query about a white worm was from mumsy on page 2. Long white thread like worms.

xx
thread worms on my potatoes

Started by ulsterfairy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 11:24
by ulsterfairy
xx
thread worms on potatoes

Started by wrighty500 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 13:33
by Webby
xx
Thread-like worms in strawberries

Started by cheshirecheese on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 12:12
by tosca100
xx
tiny white worms

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 09:33
by Salmo

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 32 queries.