snap dragons

• 6 Replies

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
snap dragons
« on: April 06, 2011, 21:25 »
Hi

I am trying to grow snap dragons from seed.  Well they have grown and they must be the smallest seedlings in the world.  I have followed instructions per the packet and they have grown so all seems well but ..... how on earth do you prick out such small seedlings??  They have only the 2 leaves at the moment - this is in anticipation of further growth (hopefully).  I would be so chuffed to actually pull this off as I usually end up spending too much money on this lovely annuals.

Any hints ???????

Lulu :)
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Trillium

Re: snap dragons
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 22:43 »
Let them grow on to another set of leaves and then start pricking them out. These are just the 'seed' leaves you have, not true leaves, and you don't want to disturb the roots just yet. When you do, try to keep a bit of soil around the roots so there's less stress and they should do fine for you. Although very small seeded, they're easy to grow once you space them.

If possible, use a small spoon to  transplant them with.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 23:12 »
Let them grow on to another set of leaves and then start pricking them out. These are just the 'seed' leaves you have, not true leaves, and you don't want to disturb the roots just yet. When you do, try to keep a bit of soil around the roots so there's less stress and they should do fine for you. Although very small seeded, they're easy to grow once you space them.

If possible, use a small spoon to  transplant them with.

You can buy a metal spatula style tool specifically designed to make pricking out easier. It looks a little like a miniature two ended shoe-horn - one end larger than the other for different size "shovelfuls".

I find this makes the job quicker and, providing you remember to handle seedlings gently by one leaf, it helps to minimise damage to the seedlings.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:47 »
Lulu mine are the same - they're being very slow this year but once it gets warmer they'll take off. As Trill and Learner have said, just leave them be at the moment and have faith, they will grow!!! Jude.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 18:16 »
I'm growing them for the second time this year. I forgot they came through so small, but i must have managed to prick them out last year because i had the most wonderful patch of blooms from them. They are already a 'must have' for me now. I was so impressed with them.

I'm afraid i can't remember pricking them out last year, but my plan this year was just to let them grow on until they are big enough to handle.

Lovely plants.
Liv.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 21:37 »
Thanks - will give a go when they have grown some more.   :)

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 18:31 »
I find a small flat headed screwdriver helps to pick out seedlings to pot on. Also, make sure your seedlings are given a good watering before you start pricking them out. Good luck :) :)
people talk rubbish

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.