when to dig my early potatoes

• 9 Replies

queenb

when to dig my early potatoes
« on: June 14, 2011, 22:05 »
H,i HELP....,this is my first year of growing my own vegetables, so far so good I THINK ! , my potatoes are huge  and flowered .how will i know when they are ready to be harvested?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: when to dig my early potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 22:16 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'm going to move this across to the Grow Your Own forum; feel free to pop back to introduce yourself properly on the Welcome forum  :)

Need some more info before we can answer your questions:

1. what variety are the spuds? - or at the very least, do you know whether they are first early / second early / maincrop / salad type?
2. when were they planted?
3. do you mean that the foliage is huge (as opposed to the potatoes themselves)?
4. have you had a little rummage to see what size the potatoes are? (also called a 'furtle' )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 23:59 »
My foliage is huge this year too!!

Agreed with above.. have a little 'furtle' to see what you can find.. Mine are just starting to flower and had a lovely meal from 1 plant at the weekend!

queenb

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:03 »
hi, the potatoes are charlotte, i put them in march they have purple flowers on them , they are about metre tall

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:24 »
Incidentally - I've seen lots of (funny!) references to 'furtling' on this forum, but please could somebody clarify (also my first time of growing potatoes), where exactly do you furtle - just directly at the base of the plant, or further down into the ridge?

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:56 »
Hi start furtling about a foot away from the stem and gently tease the soil back and see what you find (working towards the plant until you find a root.)  If you see the roots with tiny potatoes on them then you are too soon, mound the soil back over and wait another week (dont leave them exposed to light or you will have green spuds).  The size of the potatoes depends on the type planted but also personal choice, I can never resist pulling as soon as I can reasonably boil the pickings.  This means I will have small potatoes and less weight per plant than if I had left them - but who cares really!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

bigben

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:47 »
If yours have flowered then you might want to dig some up. Depends on how many you have planted. If you have just a few in a planter then have a furtle or feel around to see what size they are. If you have a load then just dig up one plant I suspect they will have produced something that can be eaten. Mine all have and I did not plant until April.

queenb

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 17:35 »
Thanks to everyone for there advice,  after reading your replies , me and my excited children  went straight to our veg plot and dug our first plant ! and wow!!! there they were... some perfect potatoes   and  we have just  eaten them for our dinner and they were delicious.. i will never be buying potatoes from a shop again.

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 12:14 »
excellent there is nothing nicer (grow some mint and make some mint sauce to go with them - which also tastes nothing like shop bought!)

grosmont50

• PAUL
Re: when to dig my early potatoes (FURTLEING)
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 13:24 »
TO FURTLE , have a FURTLE, go FURTLEING is not just for spuds its for life

xx
What goes in after 1st/2nd early potatoes?

Started by Daisysandbeans on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 21:16
by angelavdavis
xx
second early potatoes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 01, 2013, 07:42
by ally
xx
early potatoes

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 14:44
by mashauk
xx
1st early potatoes

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 13:53
by Trillium

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 38 queries.