winter veg

• 6 Replies

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
winter veg
« on: December 14, 2006, 20:36 »
hello there

i have just harvest my alloments and got the following
kale , turnips , carrots , leeks , cabage , parsnips , sprouts , winter squashes (out of storage ) black cabage (type of kale ) salsify and from the poly tunnel raddish , stir fry leaves  lettuce  and the last toms  can any think of any other winter veg or poly tunnel veg i could grow for next year as we are planning out now for the veg seed order
yours Big Green Bloke
remember plants can't read books

Flower

winter veg
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 22:47 »
Sounds like you've done alright B.G.B.You just need to get some broad beans in and garlic and some of those winter type onions. I bet a few spring onions wouldn't go amiss in that poly tunnel . Ooh what about some strawberry plants from runners in there too.(Or from seeds?)I like to have a few bits of herbs protected from the frost like mint as it gets it off to an early start.Some folks grow potatoes in a barrel, in a polytunnel, for Christmas. Dont forget the beans next year. Well done, so far!

muntjac

winter veg
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 23:14 »
you can get spring cabbages going in there  for an early feed also dont go digging up the cabbge or kale stalks up they will sprout fresh new greens given chance and believe me its tasty stuff
still alive /............

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
winter veg
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 15:22 »
hi there , just put in 2kgs of over wintering onions  now have a bad back half red and half white garlice never seems to grow well and broad beens seem to die if i try to over winter them as for the poly tunnel is was think about start turnip and other fast growing veg in it and the spring cabbage sounds a good idea , as for strawberries alway will to give some thing a try  sweet corn did well in the ploy this year and the melons and toms need to find out more on poly tunnel growing so anyone out there the help  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:

muntjac

winter veg
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 15:31 »
a poly tunnel is only useful if both ends are closed ,, treat it like a greenhouse .you can start crops off earlier and extend the growing season . i alway s dig one side out to 18inch deep or so and fill with manure ,put the soil back on top and plant on that . then dig the other side iout and do same tye depth of manure needs to be about a foot deep to get the temperature up 5the warmer it is the better  plants need  temp of 55f to grow happily and once started can last with a few degrees lower so long as they have no frost , hope that helps  :D

silver8

• Experienced Member
winter veg
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 19:00 »
If you are talking about crops you can harvest in the winter rather than overwinter you can also add Jer and chinese artichokes and hamburg parsley.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
winter veg
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 19:24 »
just had the first of me sprouts - fresh off the plants, fantastic!

and im strictly of the 'eurgh, sprouts!' school  :D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

xx
winter kill temperatures of winter-hardy vegetables

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 11:40
by cc
xx
What can be sown now that can over winter or be harvested in winter?

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 13:29
by Y.E.A.H
xx
Winter veg

Started by greenmoor on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 00:36
by viettaclark
xx
Winter Veg

Started by Nugget on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 22, 2006, 12:29
by Stevens706

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 28 queries.