i'm going to see a rescue dog tomorrow

• 70 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Re: i'm going to see a rescue dog tomorrow
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 23:01 »
oh yes i'm used to the excersise needs of Springers  :lol: Tess is now 14 and still requires 1.5hrs split into two walks  :blink: otherwise she is very unsettled!  We are lucky to live next to a big forest which is ideal Spaniel walking territory!   She trashed the house as a puppy (think chewing off plaster, taking foam out of the sofa...) so i'm very cautious about taking on a young Spaniel!!

I've seen a photo of this chap and have to admit that I have fallen for him  :wub: We may not have the ideal set up but we will make it work.  I'm going to talk to a couple of friends about popping in twice a day on the days i'm in the office.  Dogs will get a good hours run in the morning then at least one break in the day and a final early evening walk for an hour or so.   

i'm meeting him on Saturday- will let you know how I get on  ???

Thrift

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 06:25 »
This is a bit of a dilemma Nicki - you're obviously well aware of the pitffalls and know the breed well.

Apart from redesigning your house during your work hours, would he torment Tess who is so much older? I would be more inclined to go for a young pup, who would sleep a lot more, or a 2yr old who would hopefully be past the destructive stage.

A lot of pure bred working dogs end up in rescue because they are unsuited to the domestic life.

Best of luck on Saturday ..... let us know how you get on.   :)

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 17:40 »
Oh yes i'm aware of the pitfalls... If it really doesn't work we have a "dog daycare" company that picks up the dog, looks after it for the day (plenty of interaction with other dogs/ people etc.) and then drop it back off.  Would be able to afford it for three days a week if necessary!  Hopefully we will not need to go down this route.  But it's there if we need it  :tongue2:

He was given up as the ex-owner had to go into different accommodation that would not accept pets.  I believe the parents took him on but found it to much with another dog as well (they were retired- couldn't give him enough exercise).  He's used to being left 3-4 hours at a time in his old home so I have some reassurance! 

We've got a nice kitchen and conservatory that he can be shut in to start with- with or with out Tess!  The foster home has him in a cage so that's something to think about...  :wacko: 

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 18:08 »

We've got a nice kitchen and conservatory that he can be shut in to start with- with or with out Tess!  The foster home has him in a cage so that's something to think about...  :wacko: 

But that could just be for his own sense of security....
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 20:05 »
cages as long as they are the correct size work very well. all 3 of mine have there own cage for when we go out. They also eat and sleep in them as this is where they choose to go. If a cage is used correctly i.e. make it a good place for the dog to be they will class it as there own secure little den. Also could work out good for giving your older dog a break sometimes from a boisterous pup if you put the pup in the cage with a kong it would give your older dog a bit of me time lol  ;) Also great if you have kids my son knows when the dogs reside to there cages they must be left alone as this is there safe quiet place  :)

wighty

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 21:49 »
With regards to a dogs 'quiet safe place' our dogs beds (we had two boxers) were under a table and both my children knew (and the dogs as well) that was their place and they had retired there for some 'time out'.

Trillium

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 00:13 »
We always give our dogs their own special place that everyone has to respect.

Agatha

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 12:00 »
Hope it goes well for you tomorrow.  I'd see how you feel when you meet him - I always said I'd never have a dog under two years, preferably not under three because I didn't feel I had the time to give to such a young dog, but took my current girl in when she was about 15-17 months and she has been fine.  It all depends on the dog.  (Just don't let your heart rule your head  ;))
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 19:55 »
Well i'm looking forward to tomorrow... and a bit aprehensive as well!  I've got a cage installed (could probably fit three Springers in it so should be big enough  :tongue2: ) so he will have his own space.  At the moment the cat is sitting in it  :blink: .  I've never caged a dog before but understand the principal behind it and think it will be beneficial for our current animals and the possible new addition!

Yes, we will see how he is- we won't be taking him on if he isn't submissive to Tess or to cocky.  I never wanted a dog under two but we will see.  I'm going with an open mind  ??? 

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 21:39 »
You could be pleasantly surprised we've got 3 dogs one of which is now only 5 months and he was never like a pup which is weird cause he's a Husky so very active. Hes always been so chilled out with our older 2 especially our tiny hairless Chinese crested who hes been very patient with as little Rambo did nothing but growl at him when he first came. You would be surprised how quick an older dog corrects a younger dog and puts them in there place  also older calmer dogs are the best role model  ;) Goodluck for tomorrow. 

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 14:24 »
Well i'm sitting on the sofa with a (finally) asleep Springer!  Rusty was just what we were looking for- calm around the other animals, submissive and very friendly  8)  He is also 8 months according to his vaccination card.  The foster owners were very sorry to see him go and we've promised that if it doesn't work out that we will return him to them!!  (can't see that happening  :closedeyes: )

He's got basic training and knows paw and sit... but not down!  Got some work to do with not jumping on the furniture every second but that's OK. 

Tess has accepted him and he is being very good- a lot of lick lipping but no jumping or annoying her every second.  He's met the cat and is scared of him  :blink: and the chooks (scared of them to  :nowink: )

I'll update with pictures when I remember! 

Trillium

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 14:36 »
That sounds very positive so far. Good luck.

Thrift

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 14:58 »
That's brilliant Nicki; well done for giving another rescue dog a lovely home.  :D

I'm sure he'll enjoy his training and definitely the hiking and agility. So good to see a working breed going to a home where his intelligence and agility will be used.

We want pics and updates regularly please.  :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2012, 16:58 »
Great news Nicki, I'm sure he'll settle in just fine. :) Oh yes, pics please. :D

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2012, 19:35 »
awww thats lovely to hear  :) sound like hes found himself a great home and no doubt a new best friend in tess.

xx
Dog Rescue

Started by jamima on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 10:44
by jamima
question
Puppy or rescue dog.

Started by Lardman on Pets without Feathers

61 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 14:03
by compostqueen
clip
Blind Cat Rescue

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 23:41
by John
xx
Help needed with rescue kitten!!!

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 13:27
by maxyboo

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 35 queries.